Cancer and University

(8 Posts)
BetsyBoo100 Mon 20-Jul-20 06:34:50

Any advice welcome! I am waiting for a date to have surgery. I need half of my thyroid removed as I have a 6.5cm nodule that is rapidly growing. A little over 50% that it might be cancer but they aren't sure yet.

I've not had my surgery date yet and because of COVID I have to isolate 2 weeks before. And then of course, there's the wait the other side to find out whether or not I do in fact have cancer.

I'm supposed to be leaving my job next month and start a new degree at university in September. I'm desperate to do this. But now I don't know what to do - stay in my job another year and have the security of sick pay? Or just go for uni in the hope that I don't have cancer or that it's very treatable (thyroid normally is) and I can get by?

It's so hard. I don't think for one minute I'll know where I stand cancer wise by the time I need to hand my notice in at work.

OP’s posts: |
LeGrandBleu Mon 20-Jul-20 09:08:34

Stay in your job. My brother had all his thyroid removed because of a benign tumour, and he couldn't function for months, no strength at all, not able to hold the kettle to pour himself a cup of tea. He had almost four months sick leave .

Even if you keep half, it will take months to adjust levels of thyroxine. You can't risk it. Wait until the surgery.

missyB1 Mon 20-Jul-20 09:13:30

Hmmm talk to the Uni and see if you can defer for a year? Is it vital that you start the degree this year? Cancer or no Cancer this is going to be a stressful time for you so try to make life as easy as possible.
Good luck with it all and I hope you get good news.

frustrationcentral Mon 20-Jul-20 09:18:48

I think I'd stay where I was for a year. Do work know your plans to leave and go to Uni? I'm just wondering how they'll treat you if you stay and end up Ill? I'm hoping well!

BetsyBoo100 Mon 20-Jul-20 17:08:12

LeGrandBleu

Stay in your job. My brother had all his thyroid removed because of a benign tumour, and he couldn't function for months, no strength at all, not able to hold the kettle to pour himself a cup of tea. He had almost four months sick leave .

Even if you keep half, it will take months to adjust levels of thyroxine. You can't risk it. Wait until the surgery.

Oh gosh. I'm sorry to read this. That's awful. I've been told I won't need drugs after having half my thyroid out. I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

OP’s posts: |
BetsyBoo100 Mon 20-Jul-20 17:08:46

frustrationcentral

I think I'd stay where I was for a year. Do work know your plans to leave and go to Uni? I'm just wondering how they'll treat you if you stay and end up Ill? I'm hoping well!

No they don't. They have no idea at all. Debating staying also.

OP’s posts: |
LeGrandBleu Mon 20-Jul-20 19:23:28

@BetsyBoo100 Have they performed a biopsy? I think they should give you the same uncertainty when it comes if you will need thyroxine or not. In cases of partial thyroidectomy, the remaining lobe should be enough , but there is no guarantee.
If your hormones levels are maintaining, then yes the recovery is completely different as you only need to recover from the incision which is fine.
His was a 7 cm nodule, but it was crushing his vocal cords and if they didn't perform a thyroidectomy , he might have lost his voice box.

Your doctor team seems very vague to me. You can't take such important decisions based on shaky grounds.

Advertisement

BetsyBoo100 Mon 20-Jul-20 22:27:12

Yes I have had a biopsy but it was inconclusive. My nodule is very contained albeit very large and growing. Not spread into lymphnodes and not affected my voice. I am however beginning to struggle swallowing.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in