Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Back Strain

(3 Posts)
mozzybear Fri 28-Sep-07 20:12:01

DH has managed to do something to his back while lifting DS from the floor. His back is ok while resting or standing but is sore when he lifts anything.

So, apart from letting me do all the lifting and taking co-codomol, is there anything he should do?

Mij Fri 28-Sep-07 22:20:49

A bit of Alexander technique/pilates type stuff lying on the the floor (which I've found appeals to most men...)

1. Get DH to lie on the floor with his knees bent, feet flat on the floor about hip distance apart.
2. Let elbows rest on the floor, with fingers resting on ribcage or pelvic bones.
3. After a few 'settling' moments, ask him to adjust his bum, lifting it off the ground a fraction and towards his feet, so his back feels elongated, but not stretched. Then relax down to the ground again for a few minutes, breathing normally.
4. Repeat. The idea is just to let the muscles relax gradually, and the spine to settle into a healthier position. He could also put a medium sized paperback under his head, to keep the spine in approximate line.

Taking something anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, for a few days should help too. And if he's prone to back spasms he might want to consider a pilates class. I know it sounds too fey for most blokes, but it's a really, really good recovey and preventative measure and very stabilising.

Oh, and he needs to sort his lifting technique, particularly during recovery. Pay attention to engaging core abdominal muscles, as well as bending from the knee rather than from the waist, to lift. You know the thing, like those pictures you get on the side of heavy boxes...

mozzybear Sat 29-Sep-07 11:25:25

Thanks Mij. His back is slightly better this morning but still sore. Shall get him to try this when he gets back from work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now