Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vaccination - anyone opted out?

(28 Posts)
Georgeous Fri 28-Sep-07 12:17:56

Hi,

I have an 11 month old daughter who is yet to have any jabs, reason being I have read so much stuff about the possible side effects/inefficacy/dodginess of vaccines. I've not decided not to do it, she may well get her jabs in the end, but I feel it is hard to make a decision, given the amount of scaremongering on both sides of the debate.

I'm just wondering if there are any mums out there who have decided not to vaccinate and how they came to their decision. Are you still happy you made the right choice?

All opinions welcome....

morethanmum Fri 28-Sep-07 12:20:26

We did all jabs except mmr. Single jabs for the first one, first course for the second one and no mmr for the others. DS2 had bad reactions to jabs, plus health problems so don't feel bad. Obv everyone is entitled to their valid opinion, but i don't want to risk it. we'll do rubella later.

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:23:07

Yes we opted out .My DD is now 5 and at school. She has not had any jabs and whilst we constantly review that decision we have had no reason to change it.
My DS was developing absoloutely normally until he had his MMR at just over 18 months. He lost all skills within two months and is now very profoundly ASD.
Can't see any vaccines in the near future but do keep looking at it

kerala Fri 28-Sep-07 12:27:53

I know one mum who has opted out, everyone else has had them - so thats one of about 25 mums I know with one year olds.

Personally (and I am not a doctor) I think its abit selfish not to as you are relying on your child not catching these things because most other people have subjected their children to the jabs.

My understanding is that most of the concerns about jabs have been proved false.

Also when you weigh up unproven concerns about the jabs against the implications of your dd catching measles/meningitis/passing rubella on to a pregant woman IMO having the jabs wins everytime... My healthy DH caught mumps out of the blue a few years ago and was very very ill.

But your choice your baby

Georgeous Fri 28-Sep-07 12:28:40

Thanks for this Morethanmum, what kind of reactions did he have to his jabs?

Georgeous Fri 28-Sep-07 12:32:24

Hi Kerala, I am not relying on other people having jabs to keep my baby safe. Stuff I've read says that it is improved sanitation etc. that has eradicated disease, not just vaccines. As I said, I haven't definitely decided not to give them, I just want to be as informed as possible before I make a very important decision.

Pagwatch - was it definitely the jab that caused your son's ASD. Have you had any health concerns with your daughter?

Thanks for all the posts guys...

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:35:49

Kerala
I hear what you are saying.
But when you have had one child in a family have a catastrophic reaction to a jab it is difficult to then seriously consider vaccinating siblings. My GP actually approves totally of this decision for my DD.

( having a profoundly disabled son it is actually quite hard then to hear the choices I have had to make because of that described as "selfish". I would not choose to be in this position. I would choose to have kids that can be vaccinated like everyone else without it doing them harm)

I am also not relying on anyone to protect my DD from getting these illnesses. I am hoping that if she gets them she will be able to deal with them - as I did when I got measles and mumps and scarlett fever and a couple of others. It isn't an easy decision but we do our best don't we.

morethanmum Fri 28-Sep-07 12:36:13

Fits first time, more recently huge infected swelling down arm that needed antibiotics. Am not relying on herd immunity, just not convinced about severity of measles etc. Rubella when older due to pregnancy thing. Now waiting for volley of criticism over how deadly measles etc is.

kerala Fri 28-Sep-07 12:36:29

Not convinced about the sanitation theory at all but each to their own.

My dd had no reactions to any jabs. Of my 12 NCT friends with one year olds who have all had all the jabs one baby had a slight fever after her MMR. A very unscientific snapshot tho!

kerala Fri 28-Sep-07 12:38:28

Of course Pagwatch and you have my sympathy I would feel the same in your position.

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:40:34

Gorgeous.
Do the 'authorities' say it was his vaccination. Of course not. Do hubby and I have eveidence of a perfectly healthy and able child loosing all emergent skills including language and bowel control etc within an incredibly short time frame. Yes.

DD has absoloutely no special needs of any description and is developing 'normally'. She had the same immune problems that DS2 had pre jab including excema and mild respiratory problems.
Interestingly ( or not grin) the original concerns about the MMR linked the onset of asd behaviours to the bodies inability to process gluten and casein. Once we removed gluten and acsein DS started speaking again - a poohing normally - and kissing me - and looking at me. Funny eh grin

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:41:29

BTW Gorgeous - what a perfect name.

Kerela smile

fawkeoff Fri 28-Sep-07 12:41:40

i have opted out of giving ds his mmr

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:50:53

Yes TMMJ. Tetanus is the one that I think of when I am having one of those "middle of the night, everything is terrible, I am really frickin useless" moments. But I can't do DPT and i can't get it otherwise.

kerala Fri 28-Sep-07 12:52:02

Though adult mumps can be really nasty - not only the illness which is bad in itself but for a man to be faced with the real risk that he has been made sterile. My dh went through misery over that and still suffers physical effects from mumps 3 years later. If you do choose not get the mumps jab personally I would try and ensure any ds gets mumps in childhood.

morethanmum Fri 28-Sep-07 12:52:30

Re tetanus pagwatch if you went to casualty with suspect cut etc, they would ask about tetanus jabs and give one if necesary, I think? So no more sleepless nights?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:55:07

Tried that grin - they would only offer combo. Perhaps I should try again..... ( Come here DD - it won't hurt)

morethanmum Fri 28-Sep-07 12:57:13

Oh - only asked as ds2 has to go to hospital even for splinters (bless) and they always ask if he needs a tetanus jab. Move to kent. wink

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:59:11

Morethanmum.
But did you actually check the vacc on offer?

DH had to have a tetnus about three months ago and when he had it they gave him the little report card thingy and it was the DPT he had been given. When he quieried it they said that was standard

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 12:59:42

And I have already left Kent once ! grin

morethanmum Fri 28-Sep-07 13:01:51

Oh. Can't think of any reason you'd come back. Was suggesting on basis of no previous knowleadge... Am sure it was on it's own. Little blue card thingy? Unless I've accidentally had him MMRed at the same time!

morethanmum Fri 28-Sep-07 13:05:11

Just checked traveldoctor - can't get single tetanus anymore. Sorry. Try Horlicks for the sleepless nights, or books about tax.

pagwatch Fri 28-Sep-07 13:31:26

mmmn horlicks...

When i wake up feeling blue I decorate my house in my head ( as if money no object of course). It works - until I wake up and am faced with what my house actually looks like.

Thanks for trying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now