Painful lumps in neck and base of skull

(8 Posts)
Cydonia Mon 06-Jul-20 20:58:05

Hello. Yesterday when I was in the car, I noticed my neck was hurting where the seat belt rubbed against it. Upon examination I found a small lump ( about pea sized ) under the skin, quite firm. It’s at the bottom of my neck, just above the collar bone. Then I found another hard lump at the base of my skull/behind my ear that’s also painful. Having googled it I’ve now terrified myself, has anyone had something similar? I don’t feel unwell, or any more tired than normal, a little weight loss but I have been trying to lose weight. My head and neck feel quite sore / tender in general, I can’t think of any injury that might have caused it.
Just wondering if I need to try and see a GP or if there’s a reasonable explanation and I’m overreacting!

OP’s posts: |
beelzeboob Mon 06-Jul-20 21:01:45

A reasonable explanation is that these are little reactive lymph nodes. The fact they’re pea sized likely means they’re nothing to worry about, but call your GP and see what they say. They may send you for an ultrasound scan, but I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

justanotherone123 Mon 06-Jul-20 21:03:42

Pop to the doctors to have them checked but could be an infection near the lumps. Do you have any spots around that area?

3catsandcounting Mon 06-Jul-20 21:09:02

I've had exactly the same over the past week, just on one side of my head/neck.
I've had it before and it's usually when I'm fighting something off (I've had a sore throat and shivers on and off all week)

Cydonia Mon 06-Jul-20 21:42:26

Thank you for the replies smile I thought lymph nodes, but don’t feel like I’m fighting anything off? Only things I can think of ( and thanks to the google search ) are a rash on my chin I’ve had for a few weeks that I thought might be impetigo? And a scab on my scalp that I can’t stop picking ( ! ) could maybe have let infection in?

Cydonia Mon 06-Jul-20 21:44:14

The lump on my head is rock hard, exactly like as if I’d banged it, but I know I haven’t. Does that sound like lymph node?

beelzeboob Mon 06-Jul-20 22:05:51

Cydonia

Thank you for the replies smile I thought lymph nodes, but don’t feel like I’m fighting anything off? Only things I can think of ( and thanks to the google search ) are a rash on my chin I’ve had for a few weeks that I thought might be impetigo? And a scab on my scalp that I can’t stop picking ( ! ) could maybe have let infection in?

These can absolutely be the cause of why your lymph nodes are raised!
Our bodies are fighting off opportunistic infections all the time, we just hardly ever know it
But I would still check it with the GP

Advertisement

Cydonia Mon 06-Jul-20 22:21:25

Ah really? I didn’t expect it to be so sore! Thanks. I’ll ring the GP tomorrow, if I can get an appointment they might help with the rash too, I didn’t want to go just for that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in