Migraines making me feel depressed

(4 Posts)
Lottiebugz22 Sun 05-Jul-20 16:57:36

I feel drained
Every single month before my period and after my period I get crippling migraines
I cannot take the combined pill due to having migraines and the mini pill made me feel low and caused more migraines! I take naratriptan and ibuprofen which don't always work. Migraines are ruining my quality of life and I am becoming extremely low in general now. What has worked for others?

OP’s posts: |
notanadultyadult Sun 05-Jul-20 18:25:56

I didn't want to read and run as I really feel for you as I suffer from migraine with aura and when I get one it's awful and hopefully someone else will come along soon with some advice.

There was a recent post on this so I'll see if I can find it for you.

Mine are normally stress related and not very often now thankfully as I have grown out of them.

I went through a period where I was having them nearly weekly and did lots of research as was finding them hard to deal with as they were affecting my quality of life, either suffering or feeling anxious about when the next one would hit so I really feel for you.

From my reading there are loads of options out there but unfortunately people suffer migraines differently. There's no one size fits all treatment. I think it's just a case of keep trying new things until you find something that works for you. Don't be scared to go back to your GP and say your current meds aren't enough.

notanadultyadult Sun 05-Jul-20 18:27:07

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/amii_being_unreasonable/3951047-to-ask-for-migraine-relief-tips

IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Sun 05-Jul-20 18:45:18

As pp said, what works varies from person to person. If you suffer with them outside of your hormonal cycle, I would definitely suggest keeping a log of what you eat, drink & do everyday along with how you feel to see if there is a pattern / triggers.

This is what worked for me:

Making sure I am hydrated, taking little sips if one was coming and I felt sick

High dose dissolvable aspirin (900mg - this was advised by a gp). If you try this make sure you've eaten or you'll have an upset stomach

Eating something sugary (jam on toast & OJ are my go to choices).

Dim lights

Sleeping the right amount (for me this is 6.5-7 hours). Too much or too little have the same awful effect.

Get outside for some fresh air everyday, even if it's only a short walk.

Menthol smells (the vicks / Olbas oil nostril things are great).

Gel masks, kept in the fridge - I have lots, put one on my eyes, one on the back of my neck and sometimes one on my chest.

If you suffer hay fever, take an antihistamine everyday to prevent congestion / pressure.

The most important - cut yourself some slack when you feel like crap and if nothing helps, go back to the gp.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in