Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

neck folds getting red

(9 Posts)
bumbly Wed 26-Sep-07 21:04:43

in my newborn as his head control isnt great and folds of skin rubbing a lot with head always being floppy

what product is best to put in between folds to avoid redness geting worse/wubbing?

petroleum jelly?

coleyboy Wed 26-Sep-07 21:06:26

I would try and leave it alone. Just make sure you wash it well at bathtime, but more importantly dry it really well.

bumbly Wed 26-Sep-07 21:08:42

thank you

just worry about chaffing

coleyboy Wed 26-Sep-07 21:44:31

Try and keep it dry during the day aswell (as it can get a bit sweaty). If you think it is getting worse, try putting a light non-fragranced cream on it.

Ds was a chubster and suffered with this, but it seemed to go by itself.

Good luck!

fingerwoman Wed 26-Sep-07 21:49:21

yes, wash and dry well.
I know talcum powder isn't recommended these days but I found it a great help when ds had this problem.
I think I've heard someone say you can use cornflour instead, but I might be making that up

motherinferior Wed 26-Sep-07 21:51:23

I seem to remember DD2 got crusts in hers blush

DumbledoresGirl Wed 26-Sep-07 21:52:27

Sudocrem cures most ailments (not literally!)

Jenkeywoo Wed 26-Sep-07 21:53:12

just keep an eye on it that it doesn't get smelly - if so a little canestan works wonders.

StarryStarryNight Wed 26-Sep-07 21:56:24

It gets red because it gets sweaty and rubs. My babies used to get it in the neck folds, and under the armpits. I always washed gently with tepid water on a soft flannel, patted it to dry, and then rub in some Talcum powder with my finger tips. Works a treat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: