Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

pelvic instability - three years postpartum? Help ......long..

(11 Posts)
barbapapa Wed 26-Sep-07 13:08:35

Have had backache on and off over the last few months, then two months ago my back went I was in agony, triggered all sorts of bladder problems (ie thought I needed to go when I didn't) .After a thorough pelvic exam and stomach feel , Doc says my stomach muscles are seperated. Also have a rectal prolapse and a very weak pelvic floor( on and off drips escape blush - sorry if tmi)She said my pelvis was unstable.
She has recommended physio and pilates. As I am hugely health anxious and close relative died of ovarian cancer she has also sent me for a renal scan -( she does not think anything wrong but is doing this for reassurance for me).
Have started physio and pilates. My back pain is gone but still have weird pelvic twinges (like a stitch or round ligament pain in pregnancy.) I am not pregnant.Sometimes my hips ache sometimes the muscles above my pubic bone.My legs are sometimes different lengths if I lie down (weird emoticon).As I am doing physio and pilates exercises (though pilates only once a week at mo ) not sure if the aching is related to extra exercise I am doing as well. Also saw a Mctimoney chiropracter who said that my pelvis was very skew wiff (she used more technical terms than that) but I am not sure if I believe in chiropracting .

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had these problems such a long time postpartum and what they did to sort them out. Anyone found Mctimoney to be good?

barbapapa Wed 26-Sep-07 13:09:36

PS I did not have SPD in pregnancy or back troubles...

LilRedWG Wed 26-Sep-07 13:11:03

I'm 16 months post-partum and found my McTimoney chiropractor to be a life saver. I went in there on crutches and walked out carrying them.

I still suffer with SPD-like pains every month, but as it's a hormonal thing I'm not suprised really, and my back is now weak.

I'm thinking of going to pilates - has it helped your core stability?

barbapapa Wed 26-Sep-07 13:15:48

I am not sure if the pilates has helped yet as have only been doing it for three weeks. It has made me very aware of how unstable I am as I find it quite difficult to control the movements. I do feel like I have been kicked in the pubic bone after the class so I guess it's doing something..smile

Mae1 Wed 26-Sep-07 13:23:40

4 years after last birth I still have twinges every months - I did suffer badly from SPD during the pregnancy. These twinges I put down to hormones - but who knows? My pelvic floor is also weak! Oh what joy!

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 26-Sep-07 13:27:00

Explain McTimoney chiropractor please?

Still suffer effects of spd (although unbeknownst to me until after pg with my second child - i have a malformed sacro-iliac joint which makes my pelvis unstable).

barbapapa Wed 26-Sep-07 13:43:54

Mctimoney is meant to be a more gentle form of manipulation than trad chiros. That is why I am a little hmm there seemed to be a lot of ineffectual tapping going on . Perhaps someone else can enlighten - I am actually quite openminded grin

LilRedWG Thu 27-Sep-07 08:34:42

I think the tiny movements made it easier for me as I was so scared of somebody hurting me. You can tell it's working because a day or so after you feel like you've been hit by a bus as all the muscles and tendons try to keep up with the repositioning of your bones!

10Sylvia5 Sat 05-Jan-13 11:16:00

I know this is a really old thread, (sorry for resurrecting it, but have only just found you all here) my little one is nearly 4, and I still have SPD too.
Sometimes I use diclofenac and codeine for pain relief when it gets really bad and I cant walk, other times I"m waddling like a duck!
Trying to do anything practical is a bit of a joke most things get half done till I can finish them.

I have been to see a chiropractor, but actually it was painful and I didnt really see any benefits, even though I did have her full course of treatments. (wasnt cheap either)

I am just wondering if there are any others out there like me and for some help!

This gets really painful and sometimes quite lonely, as you feel other people think you are whining about nothing or worse making it up.
I still have to brave my GP as I am going to need another prescription soon and it has just dawned on them what I am requesting!
HELP!

Oodbrain Tue 20-Jan-15 17:37:00

I'm 2 years on from dc4 and still on crutches. Had it first with dc3 4 years ago and dc4 was much worse (wheelchair job). Also on diclofenac/codiene as that's the strongest I can go due to bf.

Maiziemonkey Thu 22-Jan-15 00:49:50

Hi, I have had spd with 2 pg's and back, hip and leg pain assoc with. also found dysplasia of hip after no1 and disc bulges on L4/5 and S1/L5 after no2 . on lots of meds and just had spinal injections but don't know if they've worked yet.i see a chiropractor and had a round of physic after my hip (minor) and the right physic is worth their weight in gold but much more rare- she taught me how i was moving all wrong. I feel like its just my fault forgoing the wrong things and having bad posture. pilates is very good for it but go easy with that and yoga as can also make it flare up- the pubic bone pain is a sign you are doing a bit too much too quickly btw. There is another post all about back pain on here, u guys should join, they are very welcoming to all permutations of back or other pain sufferers and swap a lot of valuable info

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: