Talk

Advanced search

Niggling pain in kidney

(3 Posts)
Themadcatparade Mon 29-Jun-20 08:38:15

I’ve had a niggling sharp (ish) pain in the right side of me where kidney is located since yesterday. Drank loads of water throughout the day and rested with hot water bottle on it. Not painful enough to stop me with my day but it’s there pretty much intermittent during the day.

I’ve woken up this morning and I can still feel it.

I have no other symptoms really apart form feeling slightly period crampy to suggest anything too sinister like a UTI. No nausea, tiredness fever etc.

Any ideas? My partner mentioned kidney stones yesterday, but I’ve read the pain from those is pretty debilitating. I don’t feel like it’s serious enough to call the doctor but I am slightly worried. I’m 30yo if that helps!

OP’s posts: |
WhatWouldDominicDo Mon 29-Jun-20 08:45:15

I'd give it a few days at least before calling the gp, and rely on paracetamol for a while.

Pains come and go all the time (or they do as you get older blush)

Literallyfedup Mon 29-Jun-20 13:57:09

Kidney stones are not always painful. If it is big and partially blocks the urine flow but still in kidney then you get nagging pain , if it starts moving down the ureter and gets stuck in the way then you get the classic kidney stone pain. Try drinking some citrate salts like pottasium citrate (cystopurin) or sodium citrate (Alka seltzer) . Both will help reduce the stone size if you have any . Even if you don't citrate will make the urine less acidic and help with nagging kidney or bladder pain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »