Talk

Advanced search

How to alleviate ear pain in adults, and how long do ear infections usually last??

(6 Posts)
unstableunicorn Fri 26-Jun-20 06:06:27

Arghh. Have not slept a bit last night, in agony with ear pain. I think it's an ear infection, never had one before but the symptoms fit. Intense ear pain, won't pop, feels 'full', some thin watery discharge. Even my jaw hurts to move. I've taken the max paracetamol I can for 24 hours and the hot compress isn't helping much. Any suggestions for how to manage the next ten hours or so? Bearing in mind I'll be in a car for about four of them. Also how long can I expect this pain to go on for?? Sorry for being a wuss, I've got such a low pain threshold...

OP’s posts: |
unstableunicorn Fri 26-Jun-20 06:09:10

Also I'll try for a GP appointment, but if I head straight for the pharmacy can they prescribe antibiotics?

ItsJustASimpleLine Fri 26-Jun-20 06:11:49

You need spray/cream from the doctor and possibly antibiotics. I get ear infections all the time. Combine paracetamol and ibuprofen (as long as you're not allergic) and use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel on your ear. The medicine works pretty quick.

Good luck

healththrowawayx Fri 26-Jun-20 06:16:17

If you’re not well enough, you shouldn’t go on a 4 hour drive.

unstableunicorn Fri 26-Jun-20 06:18:51

It's two two hour journeys and I'm not driving, it's a family emergency and really can't be helped unfortunately

Torvean Sun 28-Jun-20 03:30:16

Try using a cold compress if heat wont work. Put ice cubes in a sandwich bag the wrap in a tea towel.

When you speak to the GP explain where you are. They can phone in a prescription to a closer GP. ( that does depend on GP.
Def take regular paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »