Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD3 had chickenpox now she has one 1in square on her arm - normal?

(12 Posts)
mygirllollipop Tue 25-Sep-07 14:31:23

Sorry, I know we've had a lot of chickenpox threads recently.
DD1 had normal chickenpox, DD2 got them on her eyeballs requiring treatment and now DD3 has a huge one, why can't my children be normal?
Anyhow, DD3 started this thing off with nappy rash which calmed down after about 2 weeks, then it came back with a vengence and the spots of chickenpox came the next day (Sat 15th), she hasn't been itchy but have put calamine lotion on her a few times, pharmacist recommended Piriton to relieve itching which we have given her at nighttime and has helped her sleep. All the chickenpox are now pink and the scabs are falling off, however, she still has a red one on her back which is slightly larger than the others, no too much to worry about, she had a similar one on her arm which has gone now, but she has this large one on her other arm which is about 1in square and very red with small blister looking things around the outside of it.
Is this normal? Or has she got another infection? Has it somehow turned into shingles (she says not even sure what it is or why only older people are supposed to get it)?
Will put pic on profile in a few mins.
TIA if anyone can explain this to me.

alibobins Tue 25-Sep-07 17:45:39

Ohhhhh that doesn't look right I'd get her in to see gp or take her to chemist tonight.

Poor ddsad

Hulababy Tue 25-Sep-07 17:53:41

That looks sore. Doesn't look normal for chicken pox. Can you get her to an out of hours surgery to have it looked at?

belgo Tue 25-Sep-07 17:57:02

that's nasty. I advise you get a doctor to look at it this evening.

theheadgirl Tue 25-Sep-07 18:24:56

Its not shingles (tho kids CAN get it) but I think its an infected chicken pox spot, and I agree with the others and would get it looked at - tonight if you can manage it but tomorrow will be OK if its not growing quickly.

mygirllollipop Wed 26-Sep-07 10:19:12

Well I went to take her to the pharmacy last night but it was shut, and we all know how hard GP appointments are to make, but there was the baby clinic on this morning so took her to see a health visitor. Three of them looked at her, one said it might be shingles quietly to a colleague but then they justy said moisturise it (as it has dried out and looks like a scab from a friction burn). So I will do that as not too worried now the blisters have gone and see what happens.
Thanks for the advise, much appreciated.

belgo Wed 26-Sep-07 10:22:43

keep a close eye on it. If it gets any bigger, becomes hot, swollen, or if your dd herself has a temperature, take her to the GP.

mygirllollipop Wed 26-Sep-07 10:24:22

Thanks Belgo, it hasn't grew for a while now, it was hot yesterday which is what prompted me to go to the pharmacy, she doesn't have a high temp and it hasn't been swollen but will look out for these things, thanks agian.

mygirllollipop Wed 26-Sep-07 12:22:46

Argh - now new red areas are appearing on her legs around where the old chickenpox spots used to be, you can see the yellow scab in the middle. None on her trunk or arms or face (yet). I'm going to have to take her to the pharmacist when DD4 walks up aren't I. I can't even try to get her an appointment 'til 1.30-2pm.

belgo Thu 27-Sep-07 07:31:28

how is she today mygirllollipop?

freerunner Thu 27-Sep-07 08:03:25

Aww, poor DD3! Give her a big hug from me and tell her I will call her later. How is she this morning? Has DD4 got any spots yet?

mygirllollipop Thu 27-Sep-07 11:01:50

She is getting those red patches over a few of her old chicken spots but not too worried as they seem to dry out and she is fine in herself.
Will call you when you finish work FR, thanks for thinking of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now