Talk

Advanced search

Is this a dental infection?

(6 Posts)
SMJYellow Tue 23-Jun-20 11:44:56

I regularly floss my teeth, in particular my front teeth and the teeth to the sides of my front teeth.

I find it hard to floss the back teeth because I find it hard to reach and the teeth are tight at the back.

Over the course of the weekend I decided to try going back further when flossing.

I now have a troublesome spot in my upper gums. It's my upper, right hand gums. There's a small section of gum there between two teeth that's giving me some trouble with a lot of bleeding. It happens after flossing and any sort of pressure on the area and it bleeds so that means also from the toothbrush.

I flossed last night and my mouth filled with blood. I spat it out and there was more blood. I used a cold water rinse and after that it looked as if it calmed down. I applied toothpaste to my teeth and then it began to bleed again. Basically I had to deal with about 10 to 15 minutes of bleeding last night and trying to control the bleeding.

The bleeding stopped and thankfully there was no bleeding over night and on the pillow this morning.

I was more aware of the area this more and I was being extra careful and gentle. I was applying toothpaste and the gum started to bleed again. Another 10 minutes spent controlling the bleeding with cold water rinses. After the bleeding I managed to brush my teeth being careful of that particular spot. There was some blood after brushing and thankfully it looked like the bleeding eased.

I looked in the mirror. It's not very clear to me what I can see. I think I can see something like a whitehead in that area of gum but I can't be certain of that.

There's no pain. Some slight tenderness with even the lightest of pressure from a brush. I haven't witnessed any puss.

Is this trouble in store for me? What could this be? Is it an infection? I read online that gums can bleed a lot when new to flossing.
I'm not particularly new to flossing but that area of gum is new to flossing. I'm due a cleaning so I will be making an appointment at the dentist soon.

OP’s posts: |
Shinebright72 Tue 23-Jun-20 11:50:38

I wouldn’t floss the back of your teeth. Try salt water and don’t floss for a while and see how it goes. What type of floss do you use? Is it the string you pull out or the small brush types? I know the small brush types can be quite harsh.

SMJYellow Tue 23-Jun-20 11:58:34

I'm using a dental tape floss. It's gentle. I don't like the brushes.

SMJYellow Tue 23-Jun-20 11:59:16

Thanks for the reply. I will do salt water rinses and I will book an appointment at some stage for the dentist.

IstillmissWoolworths Tue 23-Jun-20 12:10:06

I used to be a dental nurse. As you don't have toothache you most likely just have some gum inflammation. To resolve it you need to clean it more, not less. Brush carefully but thoroughly in that area and continue to floss. Either use hot salt water rinses (as hot as possible without burning yourself) or Corsodyl mouthwash. This always works for me if I get any bleeding. If the problem continues then you will need to see a dentist.

Literallyfedup Tue 23-Jun-20 16:49:56

Agree with pp that you need to clean more. If you have a problem using floss then use interdental brushes or soft picks. I prefer soft picks. You can also apply corsodyl gel on soft picks.
To stop bleeding you can use salt water rinse and if that fails apply a wet tea bag. Tannic acid acts as astringent and will quickly tighten your gums to stop bleeding. You can also buy gum astringent with tannic acid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »