Talk

Advanced search

Sleep aids that don't cause restless legs

(8 Posts)
PhilSwagielka Sat 20-Jun-20 10:05:14

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately because of the heat and my arsehole cat waking me up at 5am cos he wants feeding. I tried taking Nytol but it triggers my restless legs, which sounds hilarious but it really isn't, because I end up having to do about 100 squats to calm it down and even then it doesn't always work. I've had epsom salt baths and it helps to an extent. Does anyone know of any sleep aids that DON'T trigger restless legs? Is it worth talking to my GP?

OP’s posts: |
TumbledGlass Sat 20-Jun-20 19:28:37

Have you tried magnesium tablets?

ConcentricCircles Sat 20-Jun-20 20:22:09

lavender oil. Put a few drops on your pillow / pyjama top/ T-shirt etc. If you want to put it on your skin you need to dilute it with a carrier oil such as almond oil, or even mix it in to a little moisturising cream. But I prefer the drops on the t-shirt method.

Iwalkinmyclothing Sat 20-Jun-20 20:37:57

5htp is supposed to help and not set off RLS. Other than that the only really effective solutions I know of that don't cause RLS are prescription only or illegal. I do find that if I take enough phenergan I sleep anyway even with the restless legs as the sedative effect eventually overwhelms the horrible leg creepiness and twitching, but it's not fun waiting for that.

UnicornAndSparkles Sat 20-Jun-20 20:43:25

My DH uses "magnesium sleep" for his restless legs. It's a miracle worker! You can buy it on Amazon. The lotion is nicer than the oil IMO.

PhilSwagielka Thu 25-Jun-20 13:47:19

Thanks, everyone. I've had magnesium recommended by other people as well.

OP’s posts: |
DropInTheOcean54 Thu 25-Jun-20 23:58:48

I get dreadful RLS! Had it for years now and I have to flex my legs through the night until sleep takes over. So frustrating. Is magnesium sleep jsut a tablet or something else. I need something, Between the hot flushes and restless legs, sleep is eluding me...

copperoliver Fri 26-Jun-20 00:09:05

I take kalms and use pillow spray and use sleepy lotion,sometimes have camomile tea. None of them to affect restless legs. I always get them but above doesn't seem to make it worse. X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »