Talk

Advanced search

Concerned for my mums health... any ideas?

(12 Posts)
Cat112344 Fri 19-Jun-20 15:58:58

My mum is 55 years old, for the past 1.5 yrs she’s had some worrying symptoms;
-dizziness
-random bruising (comes and goes and is in the same place every time thighs and arms also one by her eye)
-very fatigued, she doesn’t get up until gone 2 most days
-weakness in her legs/restless legs
-she has persistent infections ears/throats and antibiotics work for a short while but stop
-constant hot flushes

She’s been to her GP who basically said she has no idea what’s going on and has asked her to come for blood tests some time this week.
She went last year too but she was dismissed pretty quickly! Anyone know what these symptoms could mean? I’m worried sick..

OP’s posts: |
acocadochocolate Fri 19-Jun-20 18:46:45

OP, encourage your mum to make more fuss with the GP. She sounds like she is in a pretty bad state, especially with the fatigue.

If the GP doesn't know what is wrong, they cannot just leave it, they need to refer her.

If my GP is anything to go by, GPs are quiet at the moment. I've had several GP telephone appointments during lockdown, including one this week that lasted 25 mins. And that was because the doctor was asking me background questions about my work etc.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 19-Jun-20 18:50:37

Could be a combination of issues. Menopause, anemia, hypothyroidism, low vitamin levels, etc.

tiredanddangerous Fri 19-Jun-20 18:53:37

Has she had any tests at all?

granadagirl Fri 19-Jun-20 19:10:17

Ditto, menopause. Fatigue is is big symptom

I tell her to go gp(when there open again) for blood tests for
Hormones, vir d, thyroid, b12, iron

acocadochocolate Fri 19-Jun-20 19:10:59

You can get blood tests now. I had some last week.

SpideyMom Fri 19-Jun-20 19:14:33

Doctors can arrange blood tests now. I had some in May where I was sent my form and had to book an appointment at the hospital, and my dad had one at his Surgery 3 weeks ago, where they operated a one in one out system.
Please push for blood tests. The doctor has to get to the bottom of things.
Best of luck to your Mom, and you

SandysMam Fri 19-Jun-20 19:17:08

Could be kidney problems, the bruising, fatigue and restless legs are all symptoms. Make sure she gets a kidney screen, they don’t always do them as matter of course.

Cat112344 Fri 19-Jun-20 23:22:34

Thanks for the replies! Doc sent her to ENT last year due to her constant infections and they didn’t find a problem...

She went through menopause around 5 years ago x

SpideyMom Fri 19-Jun-20 23:30:58

Its worrying isn't it when they cant find a reason. My dad has been ill now for a number of years. He looks ill! And he has deteriorated over the years. All tests and procedures he has had doesn't give any diagnosis. All he gets told is 'well we know its not that, so we now need to look into something else'. However his symptoms persist and are getting worse. He doesn't complain but since becoming ill in 2013 you can tell his in alot of pain.
Unfortunately my Dad is very stubborn and its hard asking him to do something if a doctor has said they cant find whats wrong. He accepts he is unwell but he doesn't push it because the doctor cant find a reason why.

Its so frustrating and worrying at the same time isnt it. I wish your Mom well

MrsEricBana Fri 19-Jun-20 23:34:28

Poor thing, that's not right, whatever the cause may be. I'd definitely be going back to the GP. There are probably lots of things it could be and I wouldn't like to guess. Hope she's ok. You sound like a very caring daughter.

Cat112344 Sat 20-Jun-20 02:02:32

Thanks, my mum is deffo my rock. The first person I tell good/bad news too, the only person I’ll ever really trust! Can’t bare the thought of losing her, I’m going to take the bull by its horns and get in touch with her GP Monday 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »