Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you don't mind me asking (nosey bitch emotion) do you get on with your COIL? General contraceptive advice welcome to.

(20 Posts)
Charlee Mon 24-Sep-07 20:06:05

I am currently using condoms as i have a history of blood clots so can't take the standard pill and i had a 2yr nightmare when using the Depo injection, ditto for the mini pill.

So i figure that leaves me with a coil (correct me if im wrong)

I would like to try one i think, i have no problems with condoms but after a pregnancy scare i feel i would like something extra.

I have heard a few goos and bad stories about coils and i know there are a few types, so please come and inform me of side effects of the coil (am terrified of severe wieght gain and random bleeding) and please tell me if there are any other contaceptive methods i can use.

Ta x smile

Furball Mon 24-Sep-07 20:10:07

I have a mirena, am on my second in 6 years. Love it, no periods at all what more can I say. weight gain? maybe but I'm a greedy gannet so it is the fact I overeat.

Charlee Mon 24-Sep-07 20:20:08

Thanks furball smile

I also heard that when you have a coil fitted the nurse/dr makes you demonstrate that you can check it yourself, is that true?

fawkeoff Mon 24-Sep-07 20:21:52

would the contraceptive patch not be any good to you???

Charlee Mon 24-Sep-07 20:22:41

Not heard about that please tell me more (i have been a jacketer for 6 yrs now i am soooo not with the times)

blousy Mon 24-Sep-07 20:26:34

I have a mirena, was not required to check it in front of gp, I'm pleased to say! I don't like it (weight gain, spots, plus return of periods after a few months), but I know lots of people do love it. My gp has assured me that it can not cause any of my symptoms.
Have tried to get it removed, but that's another story! hmm

pinkbubble Mon 24-Sep-07 20:28:21

I have a mirena, its great - its my second in six years, hardly any period, its brill, would thoroughly recommend it!grin

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 20:28:23

i get on terribly well with my coil, we never argue and it sends me flowers from time to time grin

best thing i ever did, had it for 2 years now, periods are a day or two of the lightest spotting, initially, bleeding, cramps , bloating, skin was a bit spotty.. but all settled down, and it is absolutely marvellous

am very pleased !

fawkeoff Mon 24-Sep-07 20:29:20

the contraceptive patch "evra" looks like a nicotine patch....you put it on once a week for 3 weekd then have a week break...and if by some dopey chance you forget to put one on after you have removed the old one you get a 2 day leeway break not "12" hours

fawkeoff Mon 24-Sep-07 20:29:54

i must tell you that ihave just come off AF and i only had her for 2 days

Charlee Mon 24-Sep-07 20:32:32

You crack me up Lulu grin

So cani get it from a FPA or do i have to go to the G.P, becuase as much as i love my G.P i have been going to him since i was a child and he is like a family member grin

Oh also our other G.P (we don't like her) told my sister that she was to young for a coil, she is 26 btw, do you have to be a certain age?

JiminyCricket Mon 24-Sep-07 20:32:56

I have a standard sort of coil - I had heard of people having problems with the mirena and don't get on with the hormones in the pill so decided to steer clear of hormones in coil. Never had any problems at all with it, had one four years in all (two years before dd2 and two years since. I think people can be a bit squeamish about them, but tbh I don't even think about it most of the time.

loobylooby Mon 24-Sep-07 20:33:14

I am interested in this thread - also considering a coil. However I am thinking about a copper one with no hormones - I presume that won't cause weight gain, spots etc?

lulumama Mon 24-Sep-07 20:38:44

FPA will do it, but there might be a wait

go for it!

Celery Mon 24-Sep-07 20:41:13

You need to make sure that you don't have a tilted womb before having a coil fitted. Many women have a tilted womb, and this can cause a lot of pain and discomfort if you have a coil. Of course, the bloody GP who inserted mine didn't tell me this, she just said "oh, you have a tilted womb" and I said "oh really? That's interesting".

I spent 8 months with the bloody thing digging into the side of my womb, and causing cramping and sharp pains. Sex was painful, especially in . . ehem. . certain positions, and it was only after doing my own internet research that I learnt that lots of women with tilted wombs have had the same problems with a coil.

I reply to every coil thread now with this info, because I really want to spread the word about this - it's something women should be aware of.

Also,couldn't personally get on with the hormones in the mirena - it turned me into a screaming depressed harpie.

chocolatekimmy Mon 24-Sep-07 21:26:37

Mirena at the end of June - didn't feel any pain or discomfort when it was installed (!) and just had a few minor cramp feelings until the next morning and some light bleeding.

I can feel the 2 strings inside (i know you are meant to as you have to check them) and they are less discreet than i expected. Husband says he can feel them too - aware they are there.

Had about a 2 week bleed, bit of spotting since but generally its fine and i would recommend it. Can pick up radio 2 on it too on a good day!

dellgirl13 Wed 26-Sep-07 10:41:11

hi i have tried the coil twice after being told they have no hormonal side effects(as the pill turns me into a psycho)and twice i turned into a psycho!! my mum suffured the same way. i am not on any contraception now and when/if i have sex i use the rytham method it has worked for the last 5 years and i now have 3 children that i planned(although dh did not know)lol

mummypoppins Wed 26-Sep-07 12:31:32

Standard coil.............got pregnant. NEVER AGAIN.

Flamesparrow Wed 26-Sep-07 12:38:00

If you have issues with hormonal contraception then the mirena will be no better.

I have a copper coil and love it - the first few periods after it being fitted were very heavy and painful, but they have settled down now, and I have lost all of the weight that I gained after 9 years on the pill. (and changed shape too)

Flamesparrow Wed 26-Sep-07 12:39:09

Oh, I have had one month that I think was a miscarriage If you are very very fertile then it could be a problem (I am doing the head in the sand thing of ignoring that it might be an issue unless it happens again)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now