Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

URGENT-what should i do-think dd has just swallowed 10p-please help

(14 Posts)
sammysam Mon 24-Sep-07 16:49:19

i think my dd (14 months) has just swallowed 10p (she found it earlier and i hid it but then when i turned round to clear up and turned back again she had a huge grin on her face and i can't find the coin anywhere).

She seems fine (initially she put her hand in her mouth a few times but there was also some fluff on her lip) and is just carrying on as normal.

Should i be worried? 10p is quite big in such a little body. 1st aid book said let it pass through-will it?

I don't normally panic but this has got me worried..........

god i'm a bad bad mum angry

Now what?

Sunshinemummy Mon 24-Sep-07 16:49:58

If she's not in any distress I'd call NHS Direct and get their advice.

Sunshinemummy Mon 24-Sep-07 16:50:11

And don't worry I think these things happen.

littlelapin Mon 24-Sep-07 16:51:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fireflyfairy2 Mon 24-Sep-07 16:51:26

Look everywhere & see if you can't find it first, as 10p is quite a large coin for such a small mouth. I'd rule out the possibility first if I could.

Then if I was sure, I would take her to A&E as it would be the coin coming out I would be worried about.

Hopefully you will find it has rolled under the sofa or something.

belgo Mon 24-Sep-07 16:51:39

Make sure the coin isn't anywhere (she may have shoved it into her trousers/nappy). Take her to A&E if you can't find it.

oh and you're not a bad mum - these things happensmile

MegaLegs Mon 24-Sep-07 16:52:58

I would be suprised if she'd managed to swallow a 10p. I thought DS4 had swallowed a coin, he choked for ages and I felt something hard in his mouth which disappeared. (As he was choking I dialed 999). If you are concerened I would take her to A&E and they might suggest an xray to make sure it's not stuck. DS4 had an xray and no coin showed up so heaven knows what he swallowed.

fryalot Mon 24-Sep-07 16:56:06

I agree with megalegs - if she had swallowed it, I am sure that it wouldn't have gone straight down and she would have had difficulty swallowing it.

I assume she is breathing ok and there is nothing obviously stuck in her throat?

Look for the coin, then if you still think she has swallowed it, ring NHS direct or even take her to A & E to get checked out, although if it went in ok, it will probably come out ok as well

sammysam Mon 24-Sep-07 17:02:48

god-don't look on the internet for health related things-nasty shock

as i'm typing i'm nursing dd who has fallen asleep (she missed her nap) so she is swallowing and breathing fine.

will go and double check for the coin.
i do find it quite hard to believe she could swallow it

thanks everyone-feel a bit calmer-will see how she is after the feed...........

sammysam Mon 24-Sep-07 17:11:43

dp is going to get a piece of my mind when he gets home-how many times have i told him? angry

i should have put it somewhere safe straight away though blush

sorry for ramble-dd still asleep on me

Lorayn Mon 24-Sep-07 17:20:30

even if you dont find it dont fret too much dd and ds have swallowed things, if she has it will go through her system, just keep an eye out for it and keep a check on any tummyaches.

fakeblonde Mon 24-Sep-07 22:33:51

My dd swallowed a 2p when she was about 5.Gp reassurred me that as she was ok not to worry.
I decided however a little later to go to A+E.
We waited 2 hours and eventually had a x ray.
DD was ok but def quieter than usual.
Following x ray there was a lot of people in the room and dd had to go on a trolley to the ressus room-the coin was still in her airway-we signed a consent form and she had to go to theatre.
Sorry to alarm you but 10p is pretty big.If you really think your 14mth old has swallowed one get an x ray tonight.

RoundTheBend Mon 24-Sep-07 22:40:46

My DS aged 5 swallowed a 5p coin. I phoned the GP surgery only to be told all GP's were busy but one person in Reception heard the conversation, told a GP and he came round IMMEDIATELY. The coin can appear to go down but it can cause a blockage. I would take your DD to A&E for an xray so they can locate its actual position. If they can see from the xrays that it is progessing "nicely" and will appear in a stool in a few days time, good, otherwise, it will mean an op. My DS was lucky and his came out in a stool.

sammysam Wed 26-Sep-07 10:25:12

have only just looked at this again-its weird-2 real extremes grin thanks everyone though-its good to know both sides!

dd came walking over to me yesterday morning from behing the bin (her fav place!) holding 10p-it has to be the same one?!

she is still fine......so should i assume thst it is the same one or go and get her checked out?

She's sleeping, feeding, drinking fine hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now