Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

NOT SURE IF OUR DAUGHTER HAS CHICKEN POX??? ANY IDEAS PLEASE?!!

(19 Posts)
Tups Mon 24-Sep-07 14:06:11

Hi,
Our daughter is 3.10 years old.
Really hard when you guys can't see it!
Friday temp. 39.5 degrees ok Saturday but still a bit fragile, all week we knew she was coming down with something as was really tred and had dark circles under her eyes after 12 hours sleep!
Noticed a few spots on her wrist yesterday which look like insect bits (we have no pets and she's not been in the garden and not changed washing powder and not eaten anything new and yes, the rash/spots dissapear under a glass - hae I missed anything?!!).
This morning my other half phoned me (he takes her to nursery while I'm at work)and said she had 3 more on her bum. I have just noticed that the tops have come off 2 of them and they look a bit open but are not sore or itchy. I keep checking her and she is getting more by the hour - also a rash under the skin aswell on her thights. There are none on her back or tummy (yet!). I was under the impression (from my HV) that the red spots filled with fluid and then blistered but that doesn't seemed to have happended (yet?).
Should I keep her off Nursery for the next few days in case it is CP as don't want to be responsible for infecting all the others or am I being silly?
ANy advice greatfully recieved and listened to! Thanks!

Tups Mon 24-Sep-07 14:07:19

PS sorry about the poor spelling, not lookng whilst typing (that'll teach me to show off!!)

MaureenMLove Mon 24-Sep-07 14:07:43

They're not always watery spots tbh. Has she got any under her arms or behind her ears?

fryalot Mon 24-Sep-07 14:08:30

It sounds like CP to me.

The spots sometimes take a few days to appear chicken-pox-like.

Keep her at home, deffo.

Tups Mon 24-Sep-07 14:08:50

Just checked - none behind ears or under her arms! (just been told to geeeeeeeet off!)

Tups Mon 24-Sep-07 14:09:53

Oh, better phone the school and let them know as it is a school nursery

belgo Mon 24-Sep-07 14:10:28

I'd say keep her home because she is obviously ill. Not sure if it's chicken pox though as they aren't itchy - I think chicken pox spots are alwasy itchy. You should go to your GP and get a diagnosis - if it is chicken pox, you need to know.

MaureenMLove Mon 24-Sep-07 14:11:40

I'd keep her off anyway. Sometimes young children just get a rash, as its their way of fighting off an infection. I remember being beside myself thinking dd had measles once (had all the jabs) doctor just put it down to an infection and it was gone again within a couple of days.

Tups Mon 24-Sep-07 14:11:58

She seems ok in herself now and is in good spirits which is always good to see!
Haven't taken her to the GP as always seem to be there!!! I suppose I should really this time!!

fryalot Mon 24-Sep-07 14:12:57

when dd2 had CP she came out in what looked like insect bites, at first just one or two, then three, four... then they almost seemed to be appearing before my eyes.

It took a day or so for them to look like chicken pox and until then they didn't itch her.

I really, really think that it is CP

sorry

Egypt Mon 24-Sep-07 14:14:36

yes,, there are always just a few at first and just appear like a red bump, then believe me - they will be everywhere (if you are unlucky) and fill with fluid q quickly - some will dry up after a couple of days, meanwhile more have appeared. good luck. horrid disease. but once you've had it you've had it. calpol - calamine cream......

fryalot Mon 24-Sep-07 14:17:29

piriton...

Tups Mon 24-Sep-07 14:24:03

Piriton - good idea but a certain madame clamps her mouth shut or throws it back up again (charming - sorry!), she won't hold anything down unless it's calpol!!! Kids!!!

Just battled with my GP's receptionist to get me an appointment today and have finally got one for 4.10pm so should hopefully have the confirmation but I think I know the answer already! People before have said to me it's best to get it over with (when I have kept her away from infectious kids) but I had it when I was 8 and it triggered off a blood dis-order in me and I was ill for months and off school for 3 months so am a bit wary ...

fryalot Mon 24-Sep-07 16:25:38

what did doc say?

Tups Tue 25-Sep-07 15:13:33

Delayed response here - NOT CHICKEN POX - hooray!

Doc reckons as she had a high temp. on Friday it is more than likely a virus and it is the next stage up from just a temp. by coming out a red spots and rash on her skin.

Gave us piriton which of course she won't take (got her to have 2.5ml last night but most of it went on floor!) and got busted when I put it in her juice (this tastes yukky mummy!!). Can't put much past these kids eh?!!!

We're happy that she hasn't got chicken pox - no more spots seem to be appearing so am just waiting for these to go.

Thanks all for your advice (I could have sworn it was the beginning of CP aswell)

fryalot Tue 25-Sep-07 15:14:56

thanks for letting us know

<<<goes to hang up dr. squonk stethoscope>>>

Tups Tue 25-Sep-07 15:31:54

thanks for your concern doc squonk - very much appreciated!
Basically the docs have no idea what it is so they will put it down to a "virus" - here's some medicine now go away you paranoid mother! (well, that's what it feels like anyway!!)

fryalot Tue 25-Sep-07 15:33:04

when dd1 was little they diagnosed something that sounded really serious - turned out to be doc-speak for "we don't know what's causing this rash so we'll give it a long name" Hope she feels better soon, anyway

Tups Tue 25-Sep-07 15:47:42

thankyou - she's laughing away at Roary the Racing car so I think she's getting there!
Best advice I've had is from you guys on here! Better than the docs drivel ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now