Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have any idea what’s going on with me?

(26 Posts)
Doggotired Sun 07-Jun-20 12:19:54

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has ever had anything like what’s going on with me at the moment?
I’ve had diarrhea on and off for 2 weeks, it’s bad one day, ok for a couple of days and then bad again on the 3rd day and when’s it bad its bad 😳 I’m also completely wiped out, so tired I could sleep all day, not dehydrated cos am drinking loads cos constantly thirsty. I have lower back pain which usually starts before the diarrhea. The doctor has sent off a stool sample last week so waiting on results for that but just thought I would see if anyone has any wisdom on here while I wait.
Appetite is fine, occasionally feel sick and a lot of headaches but I always get them anyway....
thanks

OP’s posts: |
GreyGardens88 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:21:47

IBS

Doggotired Sun 07-Jun-20 12:31:39

Do you think? Can it just start randomly like out of nowhere?

NooneElseIsSingingMySong Sun 07-Jun-20 12:39:09

How old are you? Diverticular can develop as you age causing these kinds of symptoms. If your stool sample is normal they may well refer your for a flexi sig or colonoscopy to check things out.

Doggotired Sun 07-Jun-20 12:42:45

39.... before this was completely healthy. Presumed it was a bug at first but as its intermittent and lasted so long not so sure now

GreyGardens88 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:49:30

I don't know, I've had a dodgy stomach since i was 11. With me I get "attacks" that last a few days then normal for a week or two and then process starts again. I get very hot and my muscles and bones ache just before an attack. I seem to get diarrhoea after eating anything during these periods, and it can happen many hours after eating

Amber0685 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:51:55

Diarrhoea can be a sign of inflammation somewhere. What did the dr say about lower back pain?

Doggotired Sun 07-Jun-20 12:56:11

The diarrhea is only usually in the mornings and tends to get better as day goes on but then I do also neck a load of Imodium as I have to drive about all day for work and at the mo there are no public toilets I can just nip to!
The back pain has only started since After I saw the doctor so he doesn’t know.... I will mention it to him when I get the test results

allypally999 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:56:40

Stress? It can mimic most things

NooneElseIsSingingMySong Sun 07-Jun-20 13:37:10

You’re probably a bit young for diverticular...that’s wear and tear on the bowel. It could be you had a bug that’s had a lingering impact. The problem with the Imodium is it’ll stop it for a bit but then when it wears off you’re back to square one...has the GP suggested trying an anti-spasmodic like buscopan? I have IBS and that helps.

Doggotired Sun 07-Jun-20 14:29:09

I will speak to him when I get my results and see what he suggests, it could just be a bug I’ve prolonged with the Imodium maybe?!

Doggotired Mon 08-Jun-20 16:11:01

My test results were clear, doctor is going to ring me tomorrow but I’m thinking maybe it’s IBS now, can stress bring this on? I was quite stressed and worried about kids going back to school last week for a week or so before so maybe I’ve created something....

Gonegrey31 Mon 08-Jun-20 16:32:14

The constant thirst raises a concern for me. Have you been checked for diabetes? Don’t mean to add to your worries but at least get a urine test done to check.

Babdoc Mon 08-Jun-20 16:37:16

Any blood or mucus in the diarrhoea, OP? It could be Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis.

Doggotired Mon 08-Jun-20 16:41:52

I had gestational diabetes with my daughter 3 years ago so got checked after she was born and all was ok, I’m pretty healthy and eat well so don’t think I’m that likely to get that but I will ask the doctor tomorrow to check. Sorry gross but yeah some mucus sometimes.... no blood though

Elieza Mon 08-Jun-20 17:06:12

I have the same problem. I’ve narrowed it down to trigger foods through a process of elimination.

The gp won’t refer me anywhere as there is no blood.

It’s been going on two years. Since I’ve become Perimenopausal, but I don’t know if that’s related, though hormones are a major part of our systems.
I’ve basically been left to get on with it. I know people have worse things but it’s very worrying as any goodness in the food gets washed out and I’m concerned my gut flora is knackered and I may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I had bloods but they don’t test for every thing in the nhs so I’m none the wiser.

I’d be interested to hear what yours says OP.

Mumshappy Mon 08-Jun-20 17:08:44

The diarrhea and thirst can be signa of an overactive thyroid. Have you lost weight?

Doggotired Mon 08-Jun-20 17:28:42

Elieza

I have the same problem. I’ve narrowed it down to trigger foods through a process of elimination.

The gp won’t refer me anywhere as there is no blood.

It’s been going on two years. Since I’ve become Perimenopausal, but I don’t know if that’s related, though hormones are a major part of our systems.
I’ve basically been left to get on with it. I know people have worse things but it’s very worrying as any goodness in the food gets washed out and I’m concerned my gut flora is knackered and I may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. I had bloods but they don’t test for every thing in the nhs so I’m none the wiser.

I’d be interested to hear what yours says OP.

I will let you know what he says tomorrow..... I’m hoping they won’t just tell me tests were clear and to just get on with it!
I think I probably have lost weight but that could be down to not eating as much due to fear of pooing myself 😂

Elieza Mon 08-Jun-20 17:38:43

Thanks OP. If there is no reason ask them what you’re supposed to do as this could go on indefinitely and see if yours is any more help than mine was!

I did get referred to a NHS dietician but she said not to eat the foods that caused my probs. Great. It’s such a lot of stuff that I can’t just cut it all out for ever!

Fingers crossed for you OP

Doggotired Mon 08-Jun-20 17:52:27

Thank you! I will let you know. I can’t seem to work out a trigger so far.... hopefully I can get some help tomorrow

Elieza Mon 08-Jun-20 18:52:00

Have you tried the fodmap diet? That’s what your dietician will want you to try. Have a google.

Doggotired Mon 08-Jun-20 19:09:41

Never heard of it! Will have a look thanks

NooneElseIsSingingMySong Mon 08-Jun-20 19:28:29

It’s worth having tests to rule out health problems (like coeliac disease) but if they are normal FODMAP can be really helpful. When I was told I ‘just had IBS’ hmm (it’s great there’s nothing more underlying but it really does have a significant impact on me) I asked my GP to refer me to the hospital dietitian who went through FODMAP with me and then brought me back. I have a lot of triggers unfortunately but my worst are wheat and lactose.

Doggotired Mon 08-Jun-20 20:04:32

Thinking about it my brother can’t eat wheat so maybe it’s the same kind of thing for me?! I will start doing a food diary too... it’s funny if it is that how these things just start out of nowhere?!

Elieza Mon 08-Jun-20 20:13:39

Yeah and they can change out of nowhere too! I used to have constipation a couple of years ago. Now I have the runs. Weird! I’m sure there’s a hormone link.

Defo try fodmap. There’s lots of stuff you can eat if you are careful and read ingredients. Then you increase the range if you are ok. It takes a while but can really help. Didn’t work for me but at least I know now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »