Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with a food science background?

(6 Posts)
stirling Thu 04-Jun-20 19:48:46

I'm finding that millet is the only cereal I can tolerate these days (bladder and bowel chronic issues) but read in several places that daily use of millet can be dangerous to thyroid function.
It apparently blocks iodine absorption and can result in goiters or something....

Any idea anyone?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Fri 05-Jun-20 02:43:19

Are the place where you read that credible?

stirling Fri 05-Jun-20 20:09:07

Hi Blondie, I just came across it on a website quite randomly when I was researching nutritional value of millet, just read something about it causing thyroid problems. So I googled further.
Found this info on several different websites - not sure how credible any of them are, which is why I wondered if anyone has a little more knowledge of food than me on mumsnet....

TheHighestSardine Fri 05-Jun-20 20:20:47

Not a food science person, but chemistry/bio. It's fine. Here's an actual science paper: pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2921306/

The summary is heavily loaded with jargon but the last sentence "We conclude that in areas of iodine deficiency in which millet is a major component of the diet, its ingestion may contribute to the genesis of endemic goiter."

You're not in an area of iodine deficiciency; millet is not a major component of your diet; and it's only a "may contribute" effect anyway.

No need to be concerned about your intake.

TheHighestSardine Fri 05-Jun-20 20:24:24

But holy crap are there a lot of shitty diet websites who present it as "MILLET WILL DESTROY YOUR THYROID!". Idiots. Dietitian is a protected title some places. Nutritionist never is.

Also sorry for typo above. I am editing deficicicicient.

stirling Fri 05-Jun-20 22:58:33

Thanks for that TheHighestSardine, I'll try to take a chill pill and carry on with it then smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »