Talk

Advanced search

To be offend by this

(51 Posts)
Confused3393 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:32:30

I’ve finally got my psychiatrist to agree to give me sleeping pills. He however said to me “ don’t miss-use them” I do have a history of overdose but I don’t think I should be spoken to like I’m a child. I understand they have responsibility to keep their patients safe but making comments like that isn’t helpful.

OP’s posts: |
Unshriven Wed 03-Jun-20 14:35:14

Seriously?

The GP is dealing with the person they have in front of them, not some textbook patient with no history of abusing drugs they've been prescribed.

Thighmageddon Wed 03-Jun-20 14:35:52

A doctor giving advice on a highly addictive drug, who knew they were supposed to be so responsible.

I don't think there's any need to be offended.

PolPotNoodle Wed 03-Jun-20 14:35:55

Sleeping tablets like zoplicone can be highly addictive and patients can become dependent on them, hence why you should not misuse them. I get why you might be offended but I don't think you should be.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Wed 03-Jun-20 14:37:04

Given that you have a history of overdose your psychiatrist would be irresponsible not to warn you. YABTU.

ExShield Wed 03-Jun-20 14:37:05

YABU.

PurpleDaisies Wed 03-Jun-20 14:37:13

It’s hard without hearing the tone, but you’re most likely being over sensitive here.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:38:05

Offended because he did his job? How odd. He would be remiss as a doctor to not tell you to be careful.

Ohtherewearethen Wed 03-Jun-20 14:39:05

We obviously can't tell the tone or the manner in which he spoke to you but to me it sounds like he was being responsible in warning you of the importance of taking the pills properly. Why is that treating you like a child? What would have been helpful? For him to have told you it's ok to take as many as you like? Because it's not and he would be struck off.

user135844794 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:40:26

There's a way to say things without sounding paternalistic and patronising. Not difficult.

Sonotech Wed 03-Jun-20 14:40:41

Sleeping tablets are so easy to misuse. My mother used to take them all day to sleep away the days when she was depressed.

I wouldn’t take it to heart. I can see why you would be pissed off but he obviously felt he had to actually say it.

user135844794 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:41:51

"Don't misuse them" is not a professional warning about addiction risks or anything else - it does not provide useful or meaningful information.

Confused3393 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:42:34

I only had a weeks worth and I’ve never misused proscription medication.

Bluntness100 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:43:57

What now? How would you have liked him to phrase it?

PurpleDaisies Wed 03-Jun-20 14:44:03

It most likely wasn’t just said in isolation though user. The op said she had to persuade the doctor to prescribe them. That implies a discussion.

Wewearpinkonwednesdays Wed 03-Jun-20 14:44:44

I imagine it's something they would say to all patients they prescribe them to, because they are very addictive. I don't think you should take offence. It can be very easy to misuse sleeping tablets. I don't think people realise how addictive they can be.

Mucklowe Wed 03-Jun-20 14:44:45

I do have a history of overdose

So what did you expect? Seriously?

IncrediblySadToo Wed 03-Jun-20 14:45:09

I think he's been more than reasonable/foolish to give them to you, given your history.

His 'tone' is the least problematic issue here tbh.

More to the point- do YOU think you CAN use them responsibly? If not maybe someone else should be responsible for them.

He, I & others, care more about your life than your pride 🌷

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 03-Jun-20 14:46:25

I have absolutely no history of drug use or abuse and my GP says that to me when I go to get zopicline.

You are, quite understandably, being a little oversensitive, I think.

Confused3393 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:48:53

He’s also in the past asked if I can be “trusted with having more than one weeks worth”

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Wed 03-Jun-20 14:49:02

It's a bit of a nonsense comment really, someone with suicidal tendencies isn't going to reflect on the comment and think 'Oh actually I won't 'misuse' them doc said not to.'

IncrediblySadToo Wed 03-Jun-20 14:50:47

Confused3393

He’s also in the past asked if I can be “trusted with having more than one weeks worth”

Given your history of overdoses, can you explain why you're surprised & offended by that?

Bluntness100 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:51:08

Sleeping pills. Especially if you’re really struggling which I assume you must be, are easy to misuse, the fact you say you finally got him to prescribe them indicates this has been an ongoing discussion

His warning is fair and as he is your physiatrist it may be worth discussing with him how you took offence at such an innocuous statement and why

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Wed 03-Jun-20 14:51:12

YABU. Irrespective of your overdose history, your psychiatrist has a responsibility to point out to all patients, that as a controlled drug, it is essential not to mis-use the sleeping tablets. They have to ensure this is understood by all so put it over in very simple terms.

I think you are being over-sensitive.

Bluntness100 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:52:24

It's a bit of a nonsense comment really, someone with suicidal tendencies isn't going to reflect on the comment and think 'Oh actually I won't 'misuse' them doc said not to.'

Well no, but someone desperate for sleep might be tempted to take more than they should.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in