Talk

Advanced search

I randomly shout when i'm not angry 'cardboard boxes' do I have tourettes?

(21 Posts)
cardboardboxes Tue 02-Jun-20 16:57:41

I have this enormous build up of energy and it makes me shout out loud.
I can say really random things but most often its action words such as 'NO! STOP! HURRY UP! or my DP name 3 times. That make no sense in what I'm doing. E.G. showering and I yell 'cardboard boxes'.

I have got to a stage where I just ignore it now. I have no control over it when I am with my partner or by myself, but as soon as anyone else is listening, I have the urge and I can stop myself just in time and I end up pulling a weird face.

Often I shout if I am thinking about something I shouldn't be, a traumatic event, or thinking negatively about a friend, and I just shout outloud something different to stop the thought. Often the energy build up with be anxious energy, where I have thought of an embarrassing moment and I may shout out 'PUT THE FISH IN THE BUTTER!' or something bizarre like that. I wouldn't say I suffer from anxiety, only that I get anxious moment which can come and go in 3 seconds.

The worst part is I shout the name of my abuser a lot. Sometimes, when in the office, I only can stop myself after the first initial A, but then desperately try and find a word beginning with A to finish off and not look weird. Everyone is looking at me as I take a sneeze A...A...A..CHOU!

Does anyone relate to this? Does anyone know what this is? Because I have some level of control I don't think its Tourettes or is it?

OP’s posts: |
sawollya Tue 02-Jun-20 16:59:21

If you you genuinely cannot control it i guess it is.
Cardboard boxes! That would let off steam!

TheDropBear Tue 02-Jun-20 17:02:56

Some people with autism have verbal stims where they shout words or phrases. Might be worth seeing if any of the other traits fit you.

cardboardboxes Tue 02-Jun-20 18:10:40

I don't think I have any other traits of autism but maybe im missinformed. I am very confident, social and outgoing, not particularly sensitive to loud noises or light.

I was really hoping someone would recognize this in themselves.

CoachBombay Tue 02-Jun-20 18:15:58

I worked with a colleague, he would randomly shout things like "gas cooker" "post box" he had tourettes.

Drogonssmile Tue 02-Jun-20 18:20:01

It sounds like Tourette's to me OP. The immediate need to let out the build up of energy in a verbal tic.......

MrsGrindah Tue 02-Jun-20 18:20:12

We can’t diagnose you really but yes it does sound like some form of Tourette’s . Would a formal diagnosis help you do you think? Maybe reduce the episodes because you know what you are dealing with?

BobbieDraper Tue 02-Jun-20 18:21:48

A friend of mine at university had tourettes. He found coping mechanisms to control the verbal tics, but it did result in a physical tic (a very bug twitch with his left arm and shoulder). It sounds similar; you can hold in the verbal tic but you end up with facial spasms and weird faces. It does sound like tourettes. Perhaps speak with your GP to find out what therapies are available.

BertieBotts Tue 02-Jun-20 18:24:49

Yes it does sound like tourettes, although I'm far from an expert. There was a MNer who did an AMA about Tourettes syndrome wasn't there? I'll try and find it for you.

Socksontheradiatoragain Tue 02-Jun-20 18:26:07

I do that a bit. Normally 'no' or 'sorry' or 'fuck off' (I try to change that to funny)
It's embarrassing, and seems to be getting worse (used to be when I'm alone only)
I've been wondering about tourettes as well.
Hope you find answers @cardboardboxes

amusedtodeath1 Tue 02-Jun-20 18:26:30

Not exactly, but say I'm in conversation with someone (I'm pretty anxious) if there's something I shouldn't say, I suddenly get the urge to say it. It's like I can't hide anything because it just gives me massive anxiety. Don't tell me secrets I don't need the stress. hmm

LuluBellaBlue Tue 02-Jun-20 18:29:07

Do you practice any type of release for rage, anger or frustration?

I do things like: screaming when in my car or there’s a dog walk right next to the motorway I can do this, or screaming into a pillow, drumming, boxing, running, weights workout, something that releases the tension stress and anger.

I swear if we practised SAFELY releasing our negative emotions rather than letting them build up and then they overflow when we can’t control it and sometime at other people the world would be a happier place!

Ps - not saying you project your anger at anyone! But it might help you feel more in control smile

AnneBullen Tue 02-Jun-20 18:29:16

I do this too..... it’s always swear words or No. it’s when I’m having what I call “Moments of shame” i.e dwelling on times when I have embarrassed myself or been a twat. Tend not to do it at work though. It’s weird and it’s getting worse.

I did read about a woman with this and actually it was stress related rather than anything else, she had therapy and it was dealt with that way.

chunkyrun Tue 02-Jun-20 18:29:59

Op I'm autistic which is very different in females. Whenever I have an uncomfortable thought I usually say something or make a sound to self soothe. Sometimes when I'm not even uncomfortable.

BertieBotts Tue 02-Jun-20 18:30:30

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/AMA/3312037-I-have-Tourettes-Syndrome-AMA

I thought it was longer than that but I found this one.

ChocolateFace Tue 02-Jun-20 21:32:40

My DD started doing this at the beginning of lockdown. The psychologist at CAMHS said he doesn't think it's Tourette's, but that it's due to anxiety. I'm quite sure it's due to anxiety.

From what I've read online Tourettes is when both verbal and physical tics are present for more than a year. So I'm not really sure why if DD doesn't still have tics in a year it won't be Tourette's. confused I feel a bit thick for not understanding why not.

Bearlet Wed 03-Jun-20 08:29:59

it's when I’m having what I call “Moments of shame” i.e dwelling on times when I have embarrassed myself or been a twat.

Exactly this! I do it only when I'm alone. I have a range of random phrases I say/shout in these situations.

ScrapThatThen Wed 03-Jun-20 08:51:30

I should look up Tourettes Action website and see your GP - it can get worse with anxiety or stress but it's not a mental health thing as much as a brain structure thing I think. Helps to understand and come to terms with it. Some people find some help from certain techniques and some people take medications but these are to be cautious about.

Elouera Wed 03-Jun-20 08:57:08

Are these symptoms new and sudden, came on gradually or always been there to some degree?
Have you had any headaches, head injuries or other health issues?
Have you seen your GP yet?

cardboardboxes Fri 05-Jun-20 21:59:29

thank you very much @BertieBotts I will take a look smile

@AnneBullen yes thats exactly the same as me. Most of the time is due to shame, sometimes its random, or a thought that I want to stop.

@Elouera my dad had something similar, always shouting our names and we thought we were in trouble, but he didnt even notice he had shouted. mine started at uni when my friends mum died in the fifth week, I barley knew her but longed for my mum so kept saying the word 'mum' over and over, and it just went on from there.

Elouera Fri 05-Jun-20 22:18:44

So have you ever spoken to your GP about it since it started at uni?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »