Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sore throat, what do i take?

(14 Posts)
LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 21-Sep-07 17:37:54

throat is sore, can barely talk above a croak. has come on quickly in the last couple of hours. what do i take? very sore. hard to swallow. sad

ComeOVeneer Fri 21-Sep-07 17:40:04

Gargle with soluble aspirin (and swallow) or get yourself one of these cloroseptic throat sprays to numb it. Also eat crushed ice with some cordial and/or eat a teaspoon of honey.

Cappuccino Fri 21-Sep-07 17:43:28

yes gargle, I usually do it a few times a day with warm salt water

oh and you'll need ice cream grin

pirategirl Fri 21-Sep-07 17:47:43

hiya, i posted a similar thread, sounds like u have the throat lurgy thats doing the rounds.
Just wanted to say, i gargled aspirin, which ws hideous, but after 2 days it is gettingbetter.

hope u r well soon

winemakesmummyclever Fri 21-Sep-07 17:48:25

Vodka grin.

No seriously, I unfortunately get throat infections quite regularly. Gargle with soluble paracetamol then swallow it - 4-6 hrly. The paracetamol will help bring down the temp that you will surely develop, and will ease the pain too. Ice, strepsils/merocaine lozenges, antiseptic throat sprays help too. If it carries on for more than 24 hours, see you GP/go to walk in centre. You may need antibiotics. HTH.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 21-Sep-07 17:53:12

dont have soluable paracetamol, just co-codoamol which iwll knock me out.

have normal paracetamol.

winemakesmummyclever Fri 21-Sep-07 18:01:46

Oh well, just try the paracetamol you have. You might have to break them up if your throat is really sore & swallowing is difficult. Are the glands in your neck swollen? Try to keep sipping iced water to stop your throat getting dry - need to keep yourself well-hydrated. See someone if you're not better tomorrow/it gets worse quickly.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Fri 21-Sep-07 18:04:31

glands are up. will try and take some and will go to wlak-in clinic tomorrow if now better.

DirtyGertiefromnumber30 Fri 21-Sep-07 18:06:15

I swear by hot water with honey and lemon. honey is a natural antibiotic and lemon is a natural antiseptic. It works for me! get well soon.

PiratePestoMonster Fri 21-Sep-07 18:15:43

Try gargling with TCP, twice a day. And you could also try Strefen throat pastilles from the pharmacist, which I've found are really good.

PiratePestoMonster Fri 21-Sep-07 18:16:25

Btw, sorry that you're not feeling too hot. Hope you feel better soon. smile

winemakesmummyclever Fri 21-Sep-07 18:54:34

Try to get an early night and get some rest if you can - it's not always easy, I know. Hope that you feel better by morning.

cocolepew Fri 21-Sep-07 20:05:45

I find rubbing Vicks on my throat and up to my ears helps at night. Just don't rub your eye before washing your hands first. That hurts too blush. Hope you feel better, I hate having a sore throat.

notnowbernard Fri 21-Sep-07 20:11:48

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen (alternately, like with kids)

Piriton

Boiling water with honey and lemon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now