Talk

Advanced search

Sun burn

(14 Posts)
Applejack87 Sat 30-May-20 07:53:21

I’m usually so particular about sun screen as I tend to burn but yesterday I was only in the garden for a short time and from the knees down and arms are burnt , I’ve got the horrible t shirt marks . I’m so annoyed with myself & I kept telling my daughter to keep in the shade . I’ve been applying a Boots after sun but I’m running short of it is there anything else I can apply ?
Im

OP’s posts: |
LittleCandle Sat 30-May-20 07:58:58

Aloe vera gel is better. Keep it in the fridge and apply liberally and often. It is pretty cheap and you can get it in the likes of Tesco or bigger bottles in places like Boots. Take ibuprofen if you can for the swelling. Cool showers.

LittleCandle Sat 30-May-20 07:59:41

Meant to say too, if in doubt, any good unscented moisturiser will do

DaisyChainsForever Sat 30-May-20 08:00:14

I was coming on here to say Aloe Vera gel kept in the fridge, but someone beat me to it! grin

mrsnec Sat 30-May-20 08:01:00

Have you got any Sudocrem? I think it helps sunburn.

Applejack87 Sat 30-May-20 08:08:06

Thankyou all so much , I just can’t believe my stupidity , I’ll see if I can get some aloe Vera today this is a hard lesson learnt . I’m dark haired but I frazzle so usually use a high factor

Elouera Sat 30-May-20 08:13:46

I too was going to suggest some aloe vera. if you can find the real plant, you slit in in half and apply directly.

I too am always very careful. years ago I was sat on Bondi beach with a huge sunhat & over swimwear kaftan thing to the knees. Applied factor 50 and sat there. It was only on the way home I realised I'd completely missed the lower part of 1 leg!!! I now have complete faith in well applied sunscreen, because the uncovered leg ended up with 2nd degree blisters, whereas the rest was absolutely fine! (Be thankful that Britain still has an ozone layer!)

Applejack87 Sat 30-May-20 08:25:21

Thankyou Elouera , I totally agree , you must have been in so much pain . I’ll have to cover up in loose cool clothes for a few days , factor 50 in the shade from now on

Ohnopoo Sat 30-May-20 08:28:31

Sudocrem is really good

Applejack87 Sat 30-May-20 09:08:34

Thankyou ohnopoo

Applejack87 Sat 30-May-20 19:59:56

I’m not really shopping much at the moment but my husband got a tube of Aloevera is it supposed to sink straight into the skin leaving it dry , I was expecting a moisturising feel

Elouera Sat 30-May-20 20:44:06

You need to check the ingredients, because some creams strangely contain alcohol to make it feel cool, but not what you want on a burn!

Applejack87 Sat 30-May-20 20:52:52

It definately isn’t moisturising it sank straight into my skin , I didn’t realise there’s different types of gel

Meggie2008 Sun 31-May-20 23:19:31

I did the same yesterday and fried my legs! Today I am in agony. Its not bad if I'm sitting down, but standing up and trying to move reduces me to tears, it's so painful.
Once I'm up and have been moving a bit, it's fine, but the few minutes around the getting up are the most pain I've ever experienced.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »