Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Early signs of chicken pox

(13 Posts)
boo64 Fri 21-Sep-07 09:48:05

Chicken pox is doing the rounds at 2 year old ds's nursery.

Can anyone whose dc has had it tell me if he sounds like it is on its way or not:

1. He had a strange reddish spot on his back last night BUT this morning there were no others at all and there was no largish blister which I thought was characteristic of chicken pox?
2. he has the tiniest cough but not really had a cold
3. no apparent fever

Hope that doesn't sound like I am fussing - I'm not I just wondered if it can start with just the one spot - I thought they spread quite quickly and by now there would be more if it really was chick pox?

wishingchair Fri 21-Sep-07 09:51:16

They do spread quickly. With dd got her ready for bath and could see about 4 red blisters. By morning she had about 20. By that night she had about 50.

She didn't have a fever or a cough/cold. Was pretty fine other than the drama of the spots.

Some get it worse than others and it can and does start with one spot but it would have a blister on it. I'd just keep an eye on it.

boo64 Fri 21-Sep-07 10:33:24

Sounds like it really would have spread more overnight doesn't it?

I won't count my chickens (oh so bad pun) though just yet that he has escaped.

Good that your dd didn't have too many other symptoms at least.

wishingchair Fri 21-Sep-07 10:38:40

If he does get it ... my tips are:

calamine lotion for spots
bicarb of soda in the bath (couple of tsp)
calpol to make them feel better
piriton for the itching.

Got dd1 (4) and dd2 (then 6 mths - obv couldn't have piriton) through it with v.few problems and no scars.

boo64 Fri 21-Sep-07 10:52:03

How long did your older one have to avoid playgroup/ nursery for - how long before they scabbed over?

Thanks for these tips - if not useful now, I'm sure they will be when he eventually gets it!

boo64 Fri 21-Sep-07 10:52:03

How long did your older one have to avoid playgroup/ nursery for - how long before they scabbed over?

Thanks for these tips - if not useful now, I'm sure they will be when he eventually gets it!

pooka Fri 21-Sep-07 10:58:42

Not sre whether this is good news for you or not, but dd had a bit of a cough before she got it.
With ds, he caught it from dd. and seemed to be on the brink for ages - would get a spot, then it didn't go blistery (think dew drops on a rose petal for what they look like). But one day, definite spot just behind his ear. And then loads and loads.

pooka Fri 21-Sep-07 11:00:02

Porridge oats tied up in a muslin in the bath. Then before they get out of the bath, squeeze the muslin and spread the gunk on. Seemed really soothing.
Phenergan if sleeping not good.

pooka Fri 21-Sep-07 11:00:47

Would advise calamine aqueous cream rather than lotion as is less dryng.

Lushaddict Fri 21-Sep-07 21:38:41

Definatly get Piriton. DD had them then kindly gave them me and I was 2 days into it before someone suggested Piriton. They make a world of difference. Chicken Pox in your late 30's is not good

looneytune Sat 22-Sep-07 16:49:11

Ds has just got it. This week I thought he was coming down with a cold as sounded a bit bunged up and dry lips etc. which he gets when run down. Not sure if this is linked but yesterday (late afternoon) had just a few spots which looked like bites on him, woke up this morning with a few more and now he's got over 200 spots all over him!! He's 4 and it's been going round nursery several times but he's only just got it. Just been putting calamine lotion on and apart from itching a bit, he's fine so far.

boo64 Sun 23-Sep-07 21:29:17

Looney hope your ds is ok - poor chap! Hope he gets well soon.

Well the one spot on ds's back as of Thurs has come to nothing - no more have appeared and that one is quite small. It has kind of scabbed a bit but the fluid centre was always tiny and white not clear so not sure it was like a chicken pox anyway.

He might still get it though of course....

boo64 Wed 03-Oct-07 13:49:21

ds is still getting the odd funny spot (maybe one every few days) but none with a blister yet....and one of the other kids at nursery who hasn't had it yet is having the same.

he has a cough but so do I and I have had chicken pox so it must just be a cough.

Am sick of wondering if he is getting it or not !

Anyone have a dc exposed to it who just got the odd non blistery spot and didn't get it? Or how long do they get these other spots for first before the real bout turns up!??!

His entire nursery has had it except him and about 2 others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now