Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pin pick raised spots, what are they?

(14 Posts)
burstingbug Thu 20-Sep-07 18:20:42

DS2 is 13mths and has these mainly on his belly , some on his back and a few on his arms and legs. They started off as a few spots on Sunday which we thought was just irritation for DH's stubble from belly kissing.
He has also had loose poos several times a day for a couple of days.
Has he got pox or something similar, is it worth a trip to the docs?

luckylady74 Thu 20-Sep-07 18:25:02

could they be molluscum (sp) or hand foot and mouth? try googling those - sounds too small for pox - blisters appear before your eyes with that and are cleasrly fluid filled - well with my 3 it did. i go to drs about rashes if it's been a couple of days and a&e if it's nonblanching of course!

burstingbug Thu 20-Sep-07 18:27:58

They don't look blistered of fluid filled. Just lots of raised pin prick spots, googled 'pin prick spots in children' came up with meningitis.shock

coppertop Thu 20-Sep-07 18:31:08

It sounds similar to something dd has atm. It started off with a temperature, the runny nappies etc and then a rash that appeared fairly slowly. The GP said that the spots/rash were just a part of a viral infection and nothing to worry about.

coppertop Thu 20-Sep-07 18:32:28

Should add though that if you're at all worried then take him to see a doctor. Dd's spots were okay because they disappear when you put a glass on them.

burstingbug Thu 20-Sep-07 18:32:52

No temperature. He does have a streaming snotty nose though.

Mrsjaffabiffa Thu 20-Sep-07 18:34:58

It is not pox, they are definate large spots that start off looking like an insect bite and are puss filled.
It could be a viral rash likned with the loose stools, many of them are unexplainable unfortunately.
Has he had a temprature? Do you think the rash is irritating him ie itchy?
Viral rashes are not usually itchy but consist of tiny pink raised spots mainly on the trunk, back and arms. It is the body's way of fighting the virus.
If you are really worried or he spikes a high temp that you can not control with calpol or like then it would be good to consult your gp.

Mrsjaffabiffa Thu 20-Sep-07 18:36:04

Sorry cross posted there, smile It does sound viral, mine love to spring a rash on me when they have a virus.

burstingbug Thu 20-Sep-07 18:37:30

Is it worth putting a bit of calamine lotion on him to see if it helps clear them?
I doubt calpol will help with anything if it is a virus.
He doesn't appear to be trying to itch the spots.
Def no temp.

Mrsjaffabiffa Thu 20-Sep-07 18:43:40

calamine won't do any harm but to be honest if they are not irritating him the they'll go as he rides the virus out. (If thats what it is) You're right though calpol is only necassary if he has a temp. Just another thought, could it be a heat rash or have you changed your washing powder?

burstingbug Thu 20-Sep-07 18:47:08

No change in washing powder.
Don't think it is heat rash as he is topless most days at home, t-shirt and lightweight zip up cardi if we go out.

burstingbug Tue 25-Sep-07 10:14:44

DS2 still has these spots on his skin. Not so red any more but you can still see and feel them. surely they should have gone by now?

janinlondon Tue 25-Sep-07 10:58:18

Do they have a kind of small indentation in the middle of each spot?

burstingbug Tue 25-Sep-07 11:47:26

no indentations seenhmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now