Talk

Advanced search

Itchy rash driving me crazy, can anyone identify it? Pic

(16 Posts)
Mrsdaisy2 Mon 25-May-20 14:57:39

Anyone know what this is and what I can use on it? Been using E45. It's not helping. Had it a few months. Very itchy and peely. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
MrsIronfoundersson Mon 25-May-20 15:03:20

Have you any allergies OP? Is it just on your upper back there? Might be something you're using in your hair...

Mrsdaisy2 Mon 25-May-20 15:04:58

None that I know of. I've tried a few different shampoos, even T Gel and other medicated ones, none have helped yet.

Mrsdaisy2 Mon 25-May-20 15:06:15

Sorry, yes just back, neck and head.

Raera Mon 25-May-20 15:12:59

Have you tried antihistamines? If they help, it will indicate an allergy.
Simple shampoo, or baby hair products might be better for you.

Mrsmadevans Mon 25-May-20 15:14:47

Looks like Eczema or Seborrheic Dermatitis OP

Mrsdaisy2 Mon 25-May-20 15:18:57

Will give baby shampoo a go and read up on eczema and dermatitis, thanks for the suggestions.

skylarkdescending Mon 25-May-20 15:25:00

Have you seen the GP? They prescribed me steroid creams for similar which cleared it up quickly. I have to be careful in the sun as it can irritate my skin.

Raera Mon 25-May-20 15:26:01

Some E45 products contain lanolin which can also cause an allergic reaction

Mrsdaisy2 Mon 25-May-20 15:34:44

Thanks Raera, I didn't know that. Will try some anti histamine too.

I haven't wanted to trouble the GP, but I may have to if it doesn't improve soon, the itch is driving me crazy, plus it's embarrassing.

skylarkdescending Mon 25-May-20 17:03:57

I don't get on with E45. Aveeno products work well for me.

PlanDeRaccordement Mon 25-May-20 17:21:56

I agree it is probably your shampoo
Most allergies to shampoo are to the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)

If it isn’t shampoo, this is rare, but some people are allergic to hard water deposits. So you could try a filter for your shower head if you suspect that. You’d also have other symptoms like dry hands, elbows, feet if this is the case.

Mrsdaisy2 Mon 25-May-20 18:18:27

I have aveeno for my dd, will try that and see if switching shampoos helps. Thanks everyone. Your advice is appreciated.

gingergiraffe Wed 03-Jun-20 18:03:48

Late to the discussion but have you considered some kind of metal allergy? I had an awful rash on my neck once from the clasp on a necklace. I cannot wear any metal other than silver or gold in my ears. Probably nickel. I also do not buy dresses that have a zip next to bare skin. That necklace, just worn for a few hours, caused a terribly itchy neck.

Seaweed42 Thu 04-Jun-20 01:02:12

Have you considered nits? Sorry but its a real possibility.

Bouledeneige Thu 04-Jun-20 01:09:44

My daughter got this from a particular shampoo/conditioner. Antihistamine sorted it.

We are ezcema/hayfever people and so do get skin allergies and you just need to isolate what caused it. I've also had hives from nuts (though lower body and spreading) which was also cured by anti-histamine. I agree with avoiding lanolin and perfumed products.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »