Talk

Advanced search

Help! My joints!

(4 Posts)
Realitea Sat 23-May-20 09:23:42

It’s both knees with me. My gp is doing phone consultations at the moment.

helpwithhouse Sat 23-May-20 09:20:44

Thank you for the reply.
Can I ask if it's both knees or just one?
I'm not sure what the current policy is with my GP practice, I'll maybe phone them on Monday

OP’s posts: |
Realitea Fri 22-May-20 23:35:58

I’m 39 and have exactly the same problem as you! I spoke to my doctor about it and he strongly suspects arthritis. Inflammatory markers can be picked up in a blood test which could help diagnose but mainly it goes by the symptoms.
I’m a bit overweight and have decided to try to shift at least a stone to see if it improves. It does sound like arthritis for you too but speak to your gp as there are different types so it needs a proper diagnosis

helpwithhouse Fri 22-May-20 22:21:17

Just for background I've always been pretty fit and healthy. I'm still carrying a bit of baby weight and am breastfeeding. My daughter is 15 months old. I'm mid 30s. I have been told in the past I have hyper mobility in my ankles but it's very mild. Ever since I have had properly fitted trainers I've had no issues and have done a lot of running.

So, my neck and shoulders always crack and often feel stiff. This has been going on for years and years, well before pregnancy. It always gets better when I do plenty of exercise/yoga so I've not been massively worried about it. I did bring it up with a physio when I was pregnant (referred for SPD) but they could only look at one thing at a time.

Anyway in the past month or so my knees have become sore. I attempted to do couch to 5km but my knees were so sore after, even though I would run for less than a minute at a time. I was also doing some workouts at home...relatively high intensity but stuff I'm very used to. No obvious injuries. No running at all for 2 weeks and they still ache. If anything they are better when I go for a gentle walk and hurt the most when I move from sitting to standing (especially when I'm getting up from the floor which I have to do fairly regularly). When I move from sitting to standing they make a crinkle sound. I'm not in agony, but am uncomfortable. Ibuprofen doesnt seem to make a massive difference.

Could these be linked?
I've just found our that arthritis hit many members of my family in their 30s, could this be that?
I cant see the doctor or a physio right now (and who knows how long for) so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to stop it getting worse. I know some physios might do online consultations but money is a bit tight so I'm trying here first.

Thank you (sorry its long)

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in