Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OK so have these sleeping tablets but not sure if I should take them...any advice pls

(12 Posts)
ohsotired Wed 19-Sep-07 21:05:21

Not been sleeping at all well lately as seperated from H and very stressed. Went to docs yesterday & she gave me zopiclone tablets 3.75 mg. I told her it was just me in the house with dc's so I'm sure she wouldn't give me a heavy dose but I'm really worried that I might not wake up if dc's wake in the night. They usually sleep through but it would be typical the one night they wake up I don't!

Has anyone taken these ones? What do you think? Not sure I can stand another sleepless night!

Thanks.

Beauregard Wed 19-Sep-07 21:10:30

I had these after a bout of insomnia following the birth of dd2,they will work well for you and i am sure if your dc do wake that they will shout loud enough.
How old are they?

ohsotired Wed 19-Sep-07 21:13:54

Thanks PFNM, they are 4 and 2.

Yes I guess you are right, ds is like a foghorn when he wants to be! DD is much quieter but they don't usually wake up.

It's just a bit scary thinking I might be zonked!

luczluutoo Wed 19-Sep-07 21:22:09

I've taken those sleeping meds,they work fine.I was on the higher dose of 7.5mg(normal strength) so as you've been prescribed a half dose,you wont feel zombiefied. I woudn't take them for a long period of time as they can become addictive,my gp usually prescribes them for a week for extreme times of my insomnia *grrr.
Wishing you a well deserved sleep!

Beauregard Wed 19-Sep-07 21:29:55

Hope you have a restful night Ohsotiredsmile

3Ddonut Wed 19-Sep-07 21:32:48

the usual dose of zopi is 7.5mg so with a half tab you should be fine, give them a try, you won't know until you do! When cautious docs prescribe a half we usually end up giving the whole 7.5 anyway so shouldn't be a problem, is it anxiety that's stopping you sleeping? Maybe diazepam would be better?

ohsotired Wed 19-Sep-07 21:38:21

Thanks for the advice, it's reassuring to know it's only half a dose. Yes I think it is anxiety/stress. When I go to bed I feel tired and its like my body is asleep but my brain is awake then I wake in the early hours and can't get back off. I feel shattered all day can hardly keep my eyes open but when it comes to evening I feel all hyper.

Have taken one now so will hopefully be ohnotsotired tomorrow grin

Will get baby monitor out and put it by my bed just in case!

Thanks again smile

ohsotired Wed 19-Sep-07 21:39:18

Not sure about diazepam, what is the difference in effect?

3Ddonut Wed 19-Sep-07 22:30:32

for when you wake up in the morning: diazepam is a muscle relaxant and settles the anxieties, it's used for panic attacks, it settles you (enough to sleep) zopiclone is a sleeping tablet only.

ohsotired Thu 20-Sep-07 07:42:16

Ok so I took one of those tablets last night.

Got very strange taste in my mouth
Had terrible sleep, dropped off ok but kept waking up all the time, tossing and turning although I did go straight off again each time.

Feel terrible this morning. I could cry I'm so tired sad

ImBarryScott Thu 20-Sep-07 07:55:17

Zopiclone is a good hypnotic. 7.5mg is the max dose, so 3.5mg may be sufficient in the first instance.

Despite the makers' claims, my professional experience shows it can be addictive. as such, if it was prescribed for me, I would try and use it just a couple of nights each week, rather than every night. You should still get the full benefit on the nights you use it.

Diazepam is not recommended for use as a hypnotic (sleeping pill). There are huge issues around its general use as it is highly addictive.

3Ddonut Thu 20-Sep-07 09:49:29

ohsotired, I'm sorry you didn't get any rest, have you tried herbal remedies? Is anyone looking at the underlying cause of the insomnia? Zopiclone can give some people bad nightmares and it just doesn't suit some people Agree it can be addictive and is only to be used for a short period of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now