Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can I be sensitive to my friend who has an eating disorder

(3 Posts)
Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 19:56:10

I'm not sure of this is the right place to post, but.

Last night my first ever friend came for dinner, we haven;t been in contact for around 8 years, and she's obviously been through the mill in that time. She told me that she had had problems with her eating for years, and although she has stopped vomiting, the issues are still there. She is very skinny and is obviously still suffering. I had no idea about this before she came.
Last night was fine, she ate well, and I love the idea that she will be well fed if she comes to mine, but I want to do the best for her, and want her to feel accepted, and not hassled by me in any way. It was wonderful to see her, and I really want to resume our friendship, but want to be sensitive to her needs.
I have two small children, and she is single with no children. I think the only feasible way for us to meet regularly is if she comes to my place, in the evening (over dinner time). She lives about an hour away so, she couldn;t just pop in after dinner iyswim.

Any ideas? I want to cook for her, but perhaps I shouldn't put food on a plate for her and let her help herself? I can talk to her about this, i.e. what would suit her best, (she has been very open with me) but not before she comes next time. I'd be really grateful for input because I really have no idea how to handle it so she doesn;t feel under pressure.

MerlinsBeard Wed 19-Sep-07 20:03:00

why not ask her how she feels about you cooking for her?
Next time arrange for her to come over just after dinner maybe or order takeout

Aitch Wed 19-Sep-07 20:10:18

if she's been open to you then i'd say just what you've said here, that you want to be friends and you want to see her and you want to make her comfortable in your home, so how best can you do that? you sound like a lovely pal to have. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now