Talk

Advanced search

waiting for bone marrow biopsy result

(1 Post)
purplerain44 Sun 17-May-20 11:47:39

hi there, My DH has increasingly low blood cells (red, white and platelets). He had something similar last year but it corrected itself and bone marrow was clear. They never knew exactly why but he had Eppstein Barr virus in his blood (glandular fever) so they are saying it was a response to this virus.

Fast foward one year and he now has profound pancytopenia again, with blood counts seeming to go down, ongoing blood tests and transfusions since Feb. He only just had the bone marrow last week and now waiting 2 weeks for results. Suspected mylodysplasia. We are in the worst kind of limbo and I am so anxious. I am googling everything and fearing the worst. He is only 49 and fit, so not old or frail. We have two DCs, 7 and 11.

I would like to know how I can handle this waiting/ anxiety, on top of everything else that is going on. I know that there are treatments available for bone marrow failure, but he is in a very small ethnic group, which might hinder chances of a bone marrow transplant. And it might be something else - even a response to another virus, or they also mentioned autoimmune disease but I'm not sure as he has no other symptoms (for eg. rheumatoid arthitis or lupus). I guess I'm asking for some reassurance, and some perspective on this. sometimes I'm feeling I can manage, and others like I"m in a nightmare. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »