Talk

Advanced search

Calcium supplements when on steroids

(5 Posts)
JustSew Sun 17-May-20 09:53:29

I take a cocktail of drugs for all kinds of health problems. Currnetly on prednisolone for a flare of RA and I've been given a calcium vitamin D supplement called Calceos.
They are disgusting. Big lumps of chalk filled with artificial sweetener. I hate them with a passion. Does anyone have any tips or alternatives?

OP’s posts: |
Footle Mon 18-May-20 19:30:55

Have you asked a pharmacist?

SirTobyBelch Mon 18-May-20 19:47:48

There are loads of direct substitutes (AdCal, Calcichew, Evacal, Kalcipos, etc., and several generic [unbranded] versions).They're all calcium carbonate (chalk) and colecalciferol (vitamin D3). though. It's probably worth asking a pharmacist if you can take ordinary tablets rather than chewable ones, but the calcium carbonate does need to be exposed as much as possible to stomach acid, so swallowing a solid lump might not be so effective.

As prednisolone can cause osteoporosis it's worth making sure you're getting as much vitamin D & calcium in as possible.

JustSew Mon 18-May-20 22:05:22

Thanks, I'm aware of the risk of osteoporosis so will keep taking them. I can't go to a pharmacy or that would have been my first port of call.
Perhaps Ill ask gp for an alternative, I just wondered if anyone else found another that was more palatable.
calcium carbonate does need to be exposed as much as possible to stomach acid. I'm also taking omeprazole for stomach protection from the steroid so that might affect the calcium absorption.
I really didn't want to take the steroids but rheumatologist can't sort my RA out until restrictions are lifted.

OP’s posts: |
Footle Mon 18-May-20 23:10:53

But you can phone a pharmacy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »