Talk

Advanced search

Why are you fat? Time for honesty!

(226 Posts)
Time2change2 Sat 16-May-20 20:56:55

COVID19 has brought obesity to attention. The greater risk of becoming seriously ill or dying with COVID19 if you are overweight cannot be denied.
64% of the UK is overweight or obese yet many seem to be in denial or not aware that they are in fact overweight.
Time for honesty- if you are overweight or obese, why? Is it will power? Money reasons? Lack of knowledge of health eating?
Have you been in denial about your weight? Has coronavirus alerted you to the fact you are indeed overweight?
I am speaking from experience as I was in denial for years - thought I could eat anything I wanted and didn’t put on weight. It wasn’t until I went with the friend to a WW meeting (only went to keep her company as she didn’t want to go on her own) and I got weighed and was shocked that actually I was overweight be a good 2 stone!
So- why are you fat and are you going to bother to do anything about it?

OP’s posts: |
Toilenstripes Sat 16-May-20 21:00:07

For me it’s will power and I can’t believe how few calories I need to exist.

onemouseplace Sat 16-May-20 21:03:37

Because I have been on corticosteroids for the best part of 15 years - they have completely changed my shape and I have gone from having a very hourglass figure to having a stomach to rival Henry VIII.

Plus I really enjoy good food and drink, and live with an exercise mad DH who can eat what he likes and I have no will power.

OhhhPeee Sat 16-May-20 21:04:18

I’m really lazy and really greedy. Plus I know it sounds flippant but I feel like I have an actual addiction to deliciousness.

I eat when I’m happy, sad, bored, tired, celebrating, commiserating etc. and the diet is perpetually starting on Monday.

I despise exercise and have never experienced the mood boost so many people talk about after exercising. In fact I find it embarrassing and boring.

Rubytinsleslippers Sat 16-May-20 21:04:26

Portion size.
I understand what healthy food is.
The issue is not eating crap all the time but how much excersise I would have to do to burn off the extra calories from oversized portions.
I think I forget I don't do as much physically as I did pre children. I am tired and eat.

TrickyKid Sat 16-May-20 21:04:58

A combination of no longer being able to go to the gym, not being able to run, health issues and maybe middle aged metabolism means I've gone from 8 to over 11 stone. I do exercise I can but it's clearly not enough.

TheLightSideOfTheMoon Sat 16-May-20 21:05:54

I put on weight with antidepressants and really can't shift it.

I'm comfortable in my body. I worry more because of health reasons.

Tanfastic Sat 16-May-20 21:06:37

I'm overweight but not obese and I'm overweight because I eat too much and don't exercise enough. I have a desk job which doesn't help. I know what I have to do but sometimes lack the willpower to continue with it. I lose a stone then reward myself with delicious cakes blush

Prokupatuscrakedatus Sat 16-May-20 21:07:06

I simply eat more calories than my body needs to function - and the amount I need is getting less and less the older I get.

PorpentiaScamander Sat 16-May-20 21:07:13

A combination of medication which makes me gain weight/increases my appetite. Plus im lazy. And I really really like food!

Babyshine2020 Sat 16-May-20 21:07:24

Portion control. I'd say I have a balanced diet and don't eat too much cake/chocolate/biscuits but when I have something it's probably 3xs what it should be - but it's normal in the world it seems.

And who measures our every item? I think as a country we need better education on nutrition and portion sizes and not just tiny writing on boxes that says "each 100g"

Harleyisme Sat 16-May-20 21:07:54

I have 3 children 2 with sen. I prioritise my dc first. I end up because of how they need me i eat at wrong times and generally the quickest and easiest thing we have in.
I have actually found since lockdown am running between meetings and appointments that i am eating home cooked meals and much better i actaully feel better and my skin looks far healthier i dont have the pale permanently exhausted look currently.

hen10 Sat 16-May-20 21:08:43

Because I am lazy and hate cooking so would rather eat cheese sandwiches and eat crisps than make a hot meal or a salad. Because I love eating pasties and chocolate. Because the amount of calories I am supposed to eat to lose weight is profoundly depressing.

Harleyisme Sat 16-May-20 21:08:59

Supposed to say that am currently not running between appointments and meetings

skylarkdescending Sat 16-May-20 21:09:39

I eat my emotions.

I celebrate good things with nice meals (often with family)

I cheer myself up when feeling low with nice food

I give myself a food energy boost when I'm tired from looking after small DC

I know this now though and am gradually making changes that are sticking.

Dk20 Sat 16-May-20 21:11:05

Medication here aswell, I was on anti depressants for postnatal depression so aswell as having pregnancy weight, I gained an extra 1 and a half stone while on the anti depressants. At the time I didn't care about my weight, it was more important to me that my MH was ok.
I am off the meds now and have started trying to lose the weight.

Mitzdob Sat 16-May-20 21:11:05

I can't stay away from the biscuits.
Actually feel ashamed of my self at the moment, hopefully it will be the kick up the arse I need to change my life style.

megladon2020 Sat 16-May-20 21:11:09

I lost 4st a few years ago, but actually everyone told me I was too skinny. I put 2st on but have lost some and am about 1st off my ideal. For me it's late night snacking and alcohol.

I lost my weight with 5.2 which was fab. I lost my way a little due to life circumstances but am back on it. I've lost half a stone since lockdown and training is key for me. I've been working out 4-5 times a week.

RaininSummer Sat 16-May-20 21:11:23

Very sedentary job, menopausal metabolism, no money for gym and little inclination for home exercise after work. Healthy food but portions too big. British weather not making walking pleasant for much of the year. I am not enormous however but def too heavy for height.

helpfulperson Sat 16-May-20 21:11:37

Lack of will power, chocolate and wine. Its only because I actually do a fair bit of exercise that I'm only a size 18.

PinkyAndTheBrian Sat 16-May-20 21:11:41

The op reads like a journalist looking for stories.

Apinchofsalt Sat 16-May-20 21:12:41

I’m a pig. Simple as that

grafittiartist Sat 16-May-20 21:12:45

Just love food.
And because I am relatively fit- get away with it.
Getting fatter through this lockdown though.

Apinchofsalt Sat 16-May-20 21:12:51

Oh and lazy too

Someone1987 Sat 16-May-20 21:13:40

My husband and I spend about £80-£100 a month on takeaways blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »