Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mastitas for 5th time in 6 months..... feel crap any suggestions am taking anitibios

(12 Posts)
Emma07 Wed 19-Sep-07 10:38:33

Hi, Yesterday got that telltale red lump again, DR said mastitas again (5th time) fed up with getting it as breast feeding 6mth old and feeling fluie is horrid. Antiobiotics do not seem to be working as quickly this time and lump big n red still anyone got any suggestions?

katwith3kittens Wed 19-Sep-07 14:38:21

Poor thing... just wanted to bump this for you. You've been doing so well to get to 6 months, are you sure his latch is correct ? can you go to any councellors for advice ?

MissTea4Me Wed 19-Sep-07 14:56:28

Poor you! I've had repeated bouts and the same where it didn't seem to be shifting-- I went back to the GP and he doubled my dose of ABs-- also lectured me to be very vigilant in taking them at regular intervals and on an empty stomach (no food 2 hrs before or 1 hr after). Ibuprofen for the swelling. Hate chucking down fistfuls of pills but that seemed to do the trick for me.

Also, if you can, REST! My DH believes exercise is the cure for all ills and I had to be like, no, you have to take DD NOW so I can have a nap. It really does help.

Hope it clears up soon and good on you for sticking with the BF.

laundrylover Wed 19-Sep-07 15:01:15

Emma,

Do a search on here for some top tips on getting rid of it.

I know it's horrible as I had it a few times with DD2 but tried to avoid ABs as I had thrush toohmm.

Here's how:
Take ibruprofen to the max dose.
Have a hot shower and power shower boob.
Use a wide toothed comb or hairbrush and brush firmly towards the nipple - lots.
Feed as frequently as you can, try lying down if it makes it easier.

I got rid of it twice like this and didn't take the ABs although I did have them standing by!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

laundrylover Wed 19-Sep-07 15:03:06

BTW Emma I just wanted to say that despite the thrush/mastitis awfulness I persevered like you and am still feeding DD2 at 18 months. Sometimes you forget what pain free, easy bfing like - it's fab so try to get through it.

Emma07 Wed 19-Sep-07 17:37:19

Thanks for the tips. Have had some lovely rest today as DH took DD for walks whilst I slept. Will try the comb on boob to see if it works, and ibruprofen cheers hope it works its definatley hit me for six this time very fluie.

laundrylover Thu 20-Sep-07 10:38:36

Emma, good to hear you got some rest - keep combing and let me know when that redness goes down...

Emma07 Thu 20-Sep-07 19:35:18

bit worried still as the lump is very solid pea sized now and still bit red. before the swelling has gone down within 24hrs and Ive started to feel better. Ive had 3 days worth of antiobitics and still feeling crap like heavy head cold. How do you know if its an abseces? (sp?) Ive been massaging it lots before and after breast feeding.

twocutedarlings Thu 20-Sep-07 19:47:56

Hi Emma,

A friend of mine also suffered with mastitas, and she actually fed her DS while on all fours, as it helped to completely drain the breast, she also massaged the lump while she she was feeding.

Hope this helps, and well done for sticking with BF for so long despite the mastitas.

laundrylover Fri 21-Sep-07 12:40:34

Ouch Emma, it sounds horrible. I know some people who have squeezed a pea sized lump out so I know it can still be a blocked duct - can you get back to the docs for a second look?

Massage is good, keep pushing it towards the nipple and don't worry if it disappears when you're feeding - yuck!

mountaingirl Fri 21-Sep-07 19:10:27

Strange question but is your bra the correct size? I had mastitis loads of times with Ds2 and eventually went and got a new bra, I was told that the old one was too small a cup size. Miracle, no more mastitis...I fed him for 13 months! My 2 other dc can still remember me crying witht the pain when I was feeding him and they were only 2 and 5.

Emma07 Sat 22-Sep-07 13:59:34

oh thanks might try the all fours thing and new bra size. Got huge boobs so is hard to find good big bras I tried about 8 or 9 by mailorder before i found one half decent feeding bra from Bravissimo grrrr I hate bra shopping I in 38H whilst breast feeding oh how i miss nice pretty bras......;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now