Talk

Advanced search

Blister face. Cold sore help?

(13 Posts)
Polkadotpjs Sat 16-May-20 09:03:42

Not seen a recent thread on cold sores and have a face full. Well corner of my mouth and spreading down. Can't open my mouth properly, feel exhausted, the pain in my face is just "there" and I feel hideous.
What's new out there? Can a pharmacy prescribe tablets right now? Or is it a GP visit?

OP’s posts: |
ChardonnaysPetDragon Sat 16-May-20 09:05:48

GP can give you Acyclovir. It will help.

It's probably worth checking with the chemists as well, if they sell it over the counter.

I think you can also buy in online, do a search.

Caramel78 Sat 16-May-20 09:08:48

Google lysine for cold sores. I used to get huge ones every month for years. Haven’t had one in about 7 years now since taking a supplement and lip balm of lysine. Miracle cure sent from the gods!

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Sat 16-May-20 09:29:09

Try to get hold of acyclovir tablets for an outbreak that severe. GPs are sometimes reluctant to prescribe but if the sores are away from the mouth they are (I think) able to. There are quite strict prescribing guidelines. I know that I've never been given them except when I had suspected shingles, but a friend has been prescribed them for cold sores when she had blisters inside and around her nose.

If you can't get tablets, get a new tube of the cream - it's massively better when the tube is new and because you only use a little bit, a lot of people keep tubes between outbreaks and think it's stopped working for them.

Meanwhile, yes, it does feel awful when you get a big one, especially when you're run down already so don't be ashamed to treat yourself as you would for any other nasty virus - painkillers, lots of rest, etc. Non-sufferers underestimate the invisible viral symptoms.

Trumpton Sat 16-May-20 09:34:43

Yes . I picked up a prescription for 400mg Aciclovir from my GP yesterday . Tablet every 5hours ( I have a chart and set my alarm ) for a week .
I had the sore face and shooting pains . I am post chemo and
still on immunosuppressants.
Lysine did not help me but I do find after a course of tablets I get very few for years and usually much less severe .

Polkadotpjs Sat 16-May-20 22:30:17

I may call tomorrow. It just aches and I feel like I've got a "bug". Knackered and bleurgh. Thanks for the understanding. The nerve pain is just vile. It's not "just a spot". I feel like my face is throbbing

Trumpton Sun 17-May-20 08:55:18

Yes .. the Coldsore virus can really knock you about !
Most people just get the sore but every so often I get one that makes me feel foul and shivery and then the added joy of one that nests on a nerve and sends stab you pains .
Do get in touch with your GP . Cold sores can get really nasty .
I started tablets on Friday afternoon and have taken 9 . Coldsore no longer hurting but still looks yuk !

Polkadotpjs Sun 17-May-20 10:59:50

I've used the patches for a few days and when I take it off each morning, there's like a layer of yellow slime to wipe off and then it bleeds. It's so horrible. Not bad one like this before. Well I say one - it's a cluster f*ck of the blighters. Urgh. Will try GP tomorrow

Khione Sun 17-May-20 11:18:19

Once this one is sorted try boosting your immune system with zinc tablets. Not a cure, but reduces the number and severity.

Trumpton Mon 18-May-20 11:48:47

Any luck @Polkadotpjs ?
I am feeling much better even though I had to set my alarm for midnight and 5am to take the pills .

Littlefrog99 Mon 18-May-20 12:24:22

Try lysine, honestly. I read about it on a forum a few years ago and as I was suffering a particularly nasty bout I decided I had nothing to lose. I rarely get a cold sore now and when I do they're pretty small. Well worth looking into if you're a regular sufferer.

polkadotpjs Mon 18-May-20 20:54:30

I've not got through to GP. Left the patches off today and had a dry scan form which of course I picked off. I'll try again tomorrow. It hurts opening my mouth. Gin with a straw it is!

Trumpton Mon 18-May-20 21:15:10

Mine hasn’t scabbed at all and doesn’t hurt as much .
Hope you get through tomorrow .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »