Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Out of interest....would you give another dose of calpol/neurofen if the first is vomited back within 15mins?

(28 Posts)
SlightlyMadSweden Wed 19-Sep-07 10:33:07

I wouldn't but just wondered what you would do.

wulfricsmummy Wed 19-Sep-07 10:34:06

Message withdrawn

Niecie Wed 19-Sep-07 10:34:25

No I wouldn't but then I'm a worrier. If I had given Calpol and it was vomited back up I might try Neurofen instead or vice versa.

MerlinsBeard Wed 19-Sep-07 10:34:28

no

I usually give half the dose and then an hour or so later gove the other half though in case of vomiting

SlightlyMadSweden Wed 19-Sep-07 10:34:52

More comments, and then I may have an interesting revelation for you...

sideways Wed 19-Sep-07 10:37:05

I once called NHS direct about this and they said not to.

lemonaid Wed 19-Sep-07 10:39:37

No, but as per Niecie I'd give whichever one it was I hadn't given in the first place (i.e. if the Calpol had been given and vomited up I'd give ibuprofen, or vice versa).

sparkybabe Wed 19-Sep-07 10:40:09

I was told you can give both nuerofen and calpol becasue they work in different ways to do te same thing...so you could give a dose of the other

Piffle Wed 19-Sep-07 10:41:48

not if just for temp
but if for pain I would try again with the medicine not already given.

giraffeski Wed 19-Sep-07 10:45:14

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Wed 19-Sep-07 10:46:14

I almost always just give half doses anyway, my kids respond well to meds, and half doses mean I can be sleepy and not really keep track of dosages, iyswim. (As in, ok, I've given three half doses today, he can have another half dose whenever.)

RubyRioja Wed 19-Sep-07 10:48:44

Prob not as I believe it starts to work in about 20 mins, but would alternate paracentamol/nurofen like others.

ShrinkingViolet Wed 19-Sep-07 10:50:05

i'd give a dose of the other one, as below. But would wait half an hour or so till tummy settled down.

SlightlyMadSweden Wed 19-Sep-07 10:51:22

Well DTD1 had a temp of 39.8 shock at 6:30. I gave her nurofen and she was sick within 15mins.

So I gave her part of a dose of calpol at 7:30 as she was still 39.2 (pretty much as you are saying). She gagged and vomited it back - it didn't even hit stomach and wasn't even a full dose.

Took her to our crappy nurse practitioner whose advice was that I should have given a repeat dose of Nurofen at 6:30 shock.

Now by 8:30 her temp was down to 38.2 - so something has worked and as the calpol didn't even go down it must have been teh Nurofen. I am angry as the NP was giving what I would consider potentially dangerous advice (although actually overdose limits are usually much higher than advised dose).

Oh and she can't even spell 'nuerophen' on her computer.

Then I was advised to go and buy "nurofen meltlets and calpol meltlets" as she would keep them down better hmm.

Been to chemist, Nurofen meltlets are not suitable for under 12s angry.

Jenkeywoo Wed 19-Sep-07 10:52:06

I would either give paracetomol if I had just given ibuprofen or vice versa but the GP did tell me that if they are really poorly you can give one double dose of calpol and they are fine so if I didn't have an alternative and it was just the once I would probably give another dose but maybe not quite a full spoon.

LilRedWG Wed 19-Sep-07 10:55:37

I would probably give a half dose after the vomitting to be honest. I feel fairly confident doing this as when DD was ten months and admitted to A&E they gave her twice the recommended dose, which they based on her weight, so I know that another half dose ontop won't hurt as a one off. (I wouldn't do this regularly though before anyone jumps on me.)

LilRedWG Wed 19-Sep-07 10:56:00

Snap Jenky!

SlightlyMadSweden Wed 19-Sep-07 10:58:21

I didn't want to do more as I had given max for age range and she is a) at the bottom of age range for dose and b) a tiny 6yo so would actually have had a big dose for her weight IYSWIM

bran Wed 19-Sep-07 11:08:23

I probably wouldn't have given a second dose but it's not wrong advise from the nurse either. A double dose even on a small for her age child is still going to be well within safety limits, especially on a once off occasion.

Actually if my child had a very high temperature (over 40) I would probably not hesitate to give an extra half dose after vomiting and then wait a bit to see if the temp came down.

lemonaid Wed 19-Sep-07 11:08:24

I'd have done just what you did, SMS -- and once the second lot came up relied on cold flannels, etc., to help keep her temperature down.

SlightlyMadSweden Wed 19-Sep-07 11:39:45

Yes didn't mention it buut we started cool flannels at 6:30 as she was soooo hot.

sparkybabe Thu 20-Sep-07 10:04:07

I would give nurofen for a high temp and calpol for pain. Calpol doesn't really bring down a high tempereature

SlightlyMadSweden Thu 20-Sep-07 10:07:47

Calpol is an anti-pyretic so it does bring down temp, but I agree ibuprofen is much more effective when it comes to temp.

giraffeski Thu 20-Sep-07 10:22:19

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Thu 20-Sep-07 10:22:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now