Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

any remedies to help sore throat

(12 Posts)
pirategirl Tue 18-Sep-07 22:10:45

i also have a sore tongue, which is weird, all part of a mild but v tiring cold.

shoudl i just keep taking the cold and flu capsules, or is there something better is can take.

coleyboy Tue 18-Sep-07 22:13:46

Boiling water, lemon juice, sugar and cider vinegar (quantities to taste) - very soothing and more effective than cough sweets.

Am not sure about the sore tongue??!

LoveMyGirls Tue 18-Sep-07 22:14:23

use oraldene mouthwash

bossybritches Tue 18-Sep-07 22:47:01

Dilute some tea-tree oil in a glass (about 5 drops in 200 mls) Gargle & spit out all but the last mouthful, swallow that if you can -it's very bitter! Repeat every 2 hours while awake. The small amount you ingest will not hurt you, tea-tree is one of the very few you can take orally.

It will help boost your immune system too!

(Boots sell a good range-organics.)

FrannyandZooey Tue 18-Sep-07 22:49:54

Sage tea

Steep dried sage in boiling water, then strain and gargle with the liquid

Elder berry extract reduces severity and length of common cold

Twiglett Tue 18-Sep-07 22:51:32

boiling water, tsp honey, lemon juice and about 5 cloves

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 18-Sep-07 22:52:16

disolve a soluble asprin in 1/4 to 1/2 glass of water and gargle with it (and swallow it too, in tiny tiny sips)

Got me through toncilitis on many an occasion

flamingtoaster Tue 18-Sep-07 23:19:14

Sip Manuka honey slowly off a spoon - don't put it in hot water because heat kills the anti-viral/antibacterial content. It's very soothing/healing. Hope you feel better soon.

bossybritches Wed 19-Sep-07 11:20:37

How's the throat PG?

Did you know today is International "Talk like a Pirate Day?"

Useless fact no; 473 from BB grin

pirategirl Wed 19-Sep-07 17:38:36

ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

hanaflower Wed 19-Sep-07 17:41:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pirategirl Wed 19-Sep-07 17:45:12

thanks for all the advice. i have been gargling asprin, hopefully will see improvement soon.

Think its bit better than yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now