Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ECG worries

(7 Posts)
dinny Tue 18-Sep-07 21:28:28

My dad's cardiac consultant has said I have to go for an ECG and echocardiogram to see if any sign of my dad's (as yet still completely diagnosed, as in named) cardiomyopathy.

am so scared - I know the procedures are non-invasive but what if there is something wrong? just feel so unprepared and so worried and am sure it is contributing generally to my increasing general anxiety and low moood.

not really sure why am posting, just wanted to offload a bit really. thanks, Dinny

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 21:33:07

I have had those tests a few months ago, and like you was worried. Mine were for different reasons, but wanted to say I know what thet are like.
You have to strip off on top completely for echo, so no bra and fingers crossed you get a lady.
I hope the results come back clear.
L

dinny Tue 18-Sep-07 21:34:41

blimey - didn't realise that you had to strip! can they do that at surgery or will I be at local hosp?

lisad123 Tue 18-Sep-07 21:39:30

the echo machine is huge so will be at hospital. Its like an ultrasound, but yes will be naked on top half.
When you have ecg, it doesnt take anytime at all but sticker thingys go under boobs. blush

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 18-Sep-07 21:48:05

oh dinny sad

what soprt of thing is your dad presenting with?

its all just precuation. all of our girls have been checked for dilated cardiomyopathy (peters condition before transplant). and i was so so worried in the lead up to the appointments. was soscared they would have it as well. its horrible.

have you looked at CMA at all?

Xanthipi Tue 18-Sep-07 21:49:42

The echo is like having an ultrasound scan when you're pregnant. . .just in a dif area of the body.

I have ECGs every year and echos every couple of years. Not a big deal, I promise. And hopefully the results will be reassuring.

You could prob do the ECG at your local surgery, but i highly doubt you could do the Echo there. That's v. specialized equipment. Good luck.

dinny Tue 18-Sep-07 22:15:20

thanks everyone

Lady V, Dad has been at Heart Hosp early this year as outpatient as his consultant was at a bit at a loss really - still is, I think, HH has recommended an ICD (being put in soon) and have sent samples off to USA, Russia for various testing. The latest app he had with cnsltant, consltant said he has "an ill-defined heart muscles process" and as the HH have advised an ICDas preacaution, he stronglt recommends that, whilst they carry on trying to find out what is wrong. he presents with tachycardia - usually over 200bpm and has had cardioversion, drugs etc to restore hr.

am so scared of being tested - though I know it's for the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now