Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How does stress affect you?

(26 Posts)
ZZMum Tue 18-Sep-07 16:31:18

I have never really luckily suffered from stress but always imagined it to be a mental thing where I would feel panicy, verge of tears etc... I am currently in what I would consider to be a stressful time... heavy workload, ill IL's, increasing demands from kids, and other issues.. however, my body feels how I can only described as stressed... aching legs, bit shaky, feel a bit vacant and sick.. these symptoms are making me feel anxious which is obviously making me feel stressed but mentally I feel as in control of events as ever... can stress be physical?

lou33 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:32:08

i tend to get really snappy, tearful and have problems sleeping

Anna8888 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:34:21

When I got very stressed through overwork and travel I lost huge amounts of weight and my periods stopped (for four years) but I always slept at night

ZZMum Tue 18-Sep-07 16:34:58

did you ever feel like you could collapse - that is how I feel and yet I know i won't if that makes sense?

Anna8888 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:36:07

In response to your question I think stress can definitely be physical before it becomes psychological and can lead to depression

PeachesMcLean Tue 18-Sep-07 16:36:28

IME, stress can have funny ways of coming out. You may feel perfectly in control but it comes out in physical ways. I've had problem hyperventilating before now, whilst otherwise feeling perfectly calm. My mum develop alopecia (sp?) Right now, I'm suffering quite a bit and getting the whole lot. What joy! I also sometimes find that after a period of stress, I get the physical symptoms when things have otherwise calmed down. All very confusing.

Anna8888 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:37:28

Oh yes I often felt like I could collapse. You can push yourself on and on and on IMO but feeling totally drained all the while.

daydreambeliever Tue 18-Sep-07 16:38:03

Yes. When I am stressed I get a vague feeling of nausea. Always makes me think Im pregnant, so I go to the chemist, shell out, take the test, then realize am stressed. And the other thing is that I rub at my face in my sleep when Im stressed, and so end up with bad skin. I dont know how to cure that habit.

But pregnancy or a urine infection could cause those symptoms.

newlifenewname Tue 18-Sep-07 16:40:08

I get stress symptoms when I only feel mildly stressed - I get a rash on my elbows and if stress is higher, on my upper body too. Very rare this happens but I've noticed it over the last 18 months or so.

I also stop eating and become quite controlled about stuff.

belgo Tue 18-Sep-07 16:40:20

yes stress often manifests itself in physical symptoms - don't ignore those symptoms, because long term stress is very unhealthy for your body.

toomuchtodo Tue 18-Sep-07 16:40:54

I eat too much

ZZMum Tue 18-Sep-07 16:42:30

thanks for this -- this is making me aware that I am probably stressed but avoiding the reality of it.. what are best ways of coping with stress when most of the causes can not be removed? ie IL's not going to recover, etc? Is it possible to cope with it?

expatinscotland Tue 18-Sep-07 16:45:47

It makes me consume alcohol in rather alarming qualities, usually with cigarettes to go with them.

Anna8888 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:46:15

If you are very overloaded you will need to think about offloading some things and taking better care of yourself. Remember that whatever the demands others are making upon you, you must stay well in order to fulfil them. How old are your children and can they help out

Niecie Tue 18-Sep-07 16:57:56

Stress can be physical and mental.

Aching legs could be from having tightening up your muscles - people tend to clench their muscles when they are tense, shakiness from too much adrenaline or like, feeling a bit vacant and sick, it could result from over breathing, verging on hyperventilating.

Sounds pretty much like stress to me. It can come out in different ways at different times. Some physical symptons are directly attributable to stress whilst others can be the result of an immune system which is suppressed slightly by stress so that you become ill.

If you take some time to relax you will probably find the symptons disappear, although, until the causes of stress are dealt with they may not disappear completely.

If you aren't sure and think there is something physically wrong it might be a good idea to go to the GP to rule out illness.

belgo Tue 18-Sep-07 17:16:49

Alternative therapies such as reflexolgy could help with stress, also relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and visualisation. Hopefully someone will come along with more specific information.

Niecie Tue 18-Sep-07 17:30:03

Try some relaxation CD's if you have the time.

Alternatively, they say that exercise is good for stress. Even a walk would probably do some good.

kama Tue 18-Sep-07 18:10:02

Message withdrawn

ZZMum Tue 18-Sep-07 18:11:15

thanks for this advice -- think it is stress and I need to address it before it really affects me more.. I think exercise is a good starting point as I do nothing at the moment - will also look at reducing workload... not sure I can cure IL's though...

thank you for taking time to answer....

CountessDracula Tue 18-Sep-07 18:11:49

I get snappy and terse with those I love and I find I crave solitude which I don't at all when I'm not stressed

Issy Tue 18-Sep-07 18:19:52

ZZMum, I would have said over the last four weeks that I was very busy and very hassled through an accumulation of small stuff but not stressed; I would be ashamed to be stressed by anything that didn't involve illness, death, disaster. However, I got a viral infection with a sore throat, swollen glands and headache and then acute sinusitis and Bells Palsy whilst flying to India on a business trip. I returned from India at the weekend and saw my GP yesterday complaining of pretty much exactly what you're describing - tired, aching legs, head-achey, vacant. She told me very forcefully to take two, yep two, weeks off work and rest. The viral infection and the Bell's Palsy were, in her opinion, likely to be stress related.

I'm really struggling with the rest thing - I'm finding it almost impossible. How difficult can it be to lie on the sofa and read a novel?

DaphneHarvey Tue 18-Sep-07 18:25:56

I become inert and get a sharp pain in my stomach.

Anna8888 Tue 18-Sep-07 18:28:11

Issy - incredibly difficult, I remember that feeling grin. When I was signed off sick with stress I kept wanting to do all kinds of things and found it almost impossible to stay at home with my feet up.

Try taking lots of baths and lie around in a dressing gown doing pampering treatments... even get someone in to give you a massage/pedicure/manicure. It does help to wind down smile

gibberish Tue 18-Sep-07 18:33:42

Incredibly irritable, have lots of temper tantrums, cry a lot, headaches, gnawing feeling in stomach, feel everything is too much and I am drowing, can't sleep.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 18-Sep-07 18:35:16

i eat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now