Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Your experiences of St John's Wort

(11 Posts)
humptydumptytumpty Tue 18-Sep-07 12:55:19

Just starting taking it for PMT - did it work for you? Thank you, Humpty

Hurlyburly Tue 18-Sep-07 13:02:58

Bumping for you - interested to know - it made me worse

humptydumptytumpty Tue 18-Sep-07 14:03:02

really? how long did you try it for, hurlyburyyl?

paolosgirl Tue 18-Sep-07 14:07:40

I thought it was for mild depression? I used it for that, and found it helped. Not sure about PMT, though.

humptydumptytumpty Tue 18-Sep-07 14:16:21

well suppose am using it for both PmT and depression, if am honest

Sidge Tue 18-Sep-07 14:23:02

Remember you shouldn't take SJW if you are using the contraceptive pill as it can reduce the efficiency of the pill.

Otherwise I have heard good reports of SJW for mild depression, PMT and menopausal symptoms.

ScottishMummy Tue 18-Sep-07 14:24:01

BMJ and other research found it can exacerbate depression symptoms and decrease the potency of prescribed medications. takeadvice from your GP before self medicating imo

paolosgirl Tue 18-Sep-07 14:26:21

SJW is used medically in number of countries, and is recognised to be effective in controlling mild depression - which is why you shouldn't use it with other anti-depressants.

humptydumptytumpty Tue 18-Sep-07 14:30:28

I'm not on any other medication at all - think it is OK to take without consulting GP? really want to avoid seeing gp atm if I can...

paolosgirl Tue 18-Sep-07 14:33:06

I did - you can buy it at the health food store. Try it for 3 months, and see if it works, but make sure you mention it if you're ever asked if you're taking any medication, just to be on the safe side.

ScottishMummy Tue 18-Sep-07 14:36:29

humptydumptytumpty - only you can honestly answer whether you need to see a GP but you say you are xperiencing "depression" SJW may become an over the counter crutch, to supress the actual experience you are having - so that imo is a bit avoidant

anti-depressants are rigorously tested, documemnted efficacy in most cases, and again for most people work

but good luck whatever you chose to do

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: