Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My mother is having a hernia operation

(12 Posts)
UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 12:11:18

Not sure what to expect - how much of a big op is this? How long will it put her out of action for? How long till she will be able to drive? (She visits my dad in nursing home so she relies on the car or lifts.) Thanks in advance for any info.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 14:29:20

Hallo UD, my DP had the op this April. It's a small op - he went in in the morning, was operated on by lunchtime and I brought him home that evening. He was very wobbly for a week, we went for a short walk to the end of our road and back the day after the op - about 20 houses each side - it took so long that we said it was a foretaste of what we'll be like in 30 years. He's early 50s and was back to pretty well normal after 4 weeks, including driving. He did have a 'pulling' sensation for a few weeks and some 'seepage' (ugh!) which lasted about 5-6 weeks, usually if he exerted himself too much which worried him but did stop. And the bruising was spectacular!

Let me know if you have any more questions as the memory is still very fresh!

UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 14:51:46

thanks for that - mum is 78 and is coping with dda's long-term illness. We ae miles away so can't really help during term-time.

UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 14:52:14

with dad's, that should say

newlifenewname Tue 18-Sep-07 14:53:18

Apparently the recovery is okay but is bloody painful and you have to eat stuff like egg and soup after.

Don't tell her how much it hurts but it really does I'm told.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 14:57:33

She'll certainly feel a lot better afterwards. DP suffered for 4 years and is now fighting fit again. But in view of her age, she might want to limit her walking to going to the kitchen, rather than up the road! My father had a hernia twice in the early 1970s - in those days he was kept in hospital for two weeks and then spent a couple of months claiming to be bed-ridden. But then, that's my Dad - he's always been a rotten patient. My Mum had a hernia op in 1943. She was barely 19, general anaesthetics weren't available because of the War, so she had it done under a local and was asked if she'd like to watch with a ceiling mirror shock!

She declined smile.

Rosa Tue 18-Sep-07 15:00:04

70 yr old mum had op in June. Unfortunatley she contracted an infection in teh scar so things took a bit longer to heal.
It was a good 2 weeks before she was driving ( she called insurance to tell them). Also if she did too much and pushed herself she was exhausted. It was hard to get her to rest and relax at times !! No weight lifting or swinging a heavy hoover round even carrying the washing out was a hard one. She got a print out from the hosp on what she could do and when.When muscles were healing it was a bit sore so she took paracaetamol. She ate as normal but drank lots of cranberry juice ( no idea why !!). Now racing round as before ! Hope all goes well

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:00:30

We weren't advised on diet - we just ate our usual. DP had to swear of the vino for a few days, until the anaesthetic was out of his system. He found that the hardest part grin. He was in pain only when he overdid it, but they do give you strong painkillers. He only needed to take them a couple of times.

Come to think of it, there was a constipation problem - hmm - maybe should have kept him on soup?

UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 15:01:25

Thanks to all.
My mum has plenty of helpers and supporters in her village so I hope a driving-her-places rota will be in place until we can visit.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:01:46

Or cranberry juice!

UnquietDad Tue 18-Sep-07 15:01:58

Oh, and she doesn't drink alcohol, so that won't be a problem.

Tanee58 Tue 18-Sep-07 15:03:41

Sounds like she'll be ok then. Tell her to promise, NO lifting or carrying (if she's anything like my mum, who's 82 but acts like she's 35, she'll need tying down!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now