Talk

Advanced search

Dizzy when standing up

(11 Posts)
2anddone Fri 08-May-20 17:40:28

Hello
Today I was sat in my conservatory when I stood up to go through to the kitchen. After I had taken a couple of steps everything around me started to feel black and I felt really dizzy. I reached out to hold onto the doorframe but my legs buckled and I fell on the floor. I have felt really shaken up ever since and have had a restful day making sure I stand up slowly before getting up. It has happened a couple of times before but I have never fell with it. Should I wait until Monday to call the dr or ring out of hours? Any ideas what it could be I have been trying to eat healthy this last week or so and think my salt and sugar intake could be low. I have also only mentioned the conservatory as it was a warm room so not sure if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any advice

OP’s posts: |
Gwenhwyfar Fri 08-May-20 17:43:52

Could it be low blood pressure?
I get slightly dizzy sometimes when it's very overcast and there's a strong white light, but it's not to the extent you had?
I suppose it could be that you hadn't eaten enough as well.

Caramel78 Fri 08-May-20 17:45:19

My DP gets this when he hasn’t eaten enough calories or when he’s dehydrated. He’s had lots of tests done and nothing is ever found.
It could also be something like POTs syndrome.
Do you know if you have low blood pressure as that would do it too if you were sitting down and not moving for a while.

dontdisturbmenow Fri 08-May-20 17:46:36

It's a common thing for people with low blood pressure. You learn to get up slowly. Could you monitor your bp?

Caramel78 Fri 08-May-20 17:49:05

You can buy BP monitors online places likes amazon for about £10-20. Handy to have to monitor things

2anddone Fri 08-May-20 17:58:44

Thank you for answering.
I wondered if it might be low blood pressure (but was too scared to google in case it gave me 2 weeks to live like all other ailments I have googled in the past) maybe I should look into getting a blood pressure reader. I had been sat for a while as was reading my book, it wasn't a white light though more a black one? I had only eaten 2 weetabix and a cup of tea with a small teaspoon of sugar so could have been lack of food....I made ds bring me his leftover Easter egg to finish off just in case!! Need to get it sorted really as a single parent and childminder so there is a chance of it happening while I have children here on their own.

OP’s posts: |
TheWorldKickedBack Fri 08-May-20 19:36:57

I have low blood pressure and get that a lot. Eat something salty which helps and make sure you have eaten before exercise etc

taeglas Sat 09-May-20 10:53:30

Could you be low in iron.
youtu.be/utZIkd_yT6I
approximately 13 minutes in he mentions dizziness.
I had been experiencing dizziness and had assumed it was due to peri menopause. I just had my bloods checked and have both low iron and ferritin. Also my love of drinking tea was probably blocking my iron absorption.

Ghostlyglow Sun 10-May-20 18:23:14

I've always had low blood pressure and I get this. Try putting a bit more salt on your food.

ScarlettDarling Sun 10-May-20 22:30:00

I have low blood pressure and get light headed several times every day when I stand up too quickly or get up from squatting etc. I haven't full on fainted for years but I do sometimes get the shakes and things start to go black. Try not to worry, it's very common but when things calm down a bit it would be worth a trip to the gp or practice nurse to get your bp checked.

Rhodri Sun 10-May-20 22:40:46

Postural hypotension. Drink more water, get up slowly, improve your fitness and check your blood pressure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »