Talk

Advanced search

Worried about cancer

(7 Posts)
WorryWartOne Mon 04-May-20 21:16:04

I’m very worried that I may have cancer, and I have no one to talk to about it in real life. My husband thinks I’m too anxious (I am, I have GAD and have suffer panic attacks and depressive episodes for 20 years), and I don’t want to worry my other family members unduly.

I seem to get every illness going, and in the past six weeks have had two bouts of nasty throat and chest related illnesses. The doctors thought possible COVID both times, symptoms were wet chesty cough for a fortnight, a very high fever for just one day, and laryngitis and tonsillitis symptoms.

Two weeks ago (so in the middle of my second illness), I noticed at least one of my lymph nodes in my neck was swollen to around pea size. I tried not to worry as I’m prone to swollen glands in illness, but I’ve never had swelling at the side of my neck before. I’ve kept an eye on the area (and done way too much prodding), and now I’ve got a few pea sized lumps in kind of a cluster, which I understand is how lymph nodes are positioned in the neck.

I’m not suffering night sweats, and my weight is fairly constant, maybe fluctuating a couple of pounds here and there. I do get chronic itching in my foot at night, but I have suffered athletes foot there on and off for a year, and am hoping it’s just a resurgence. No other chronic itching.

I’m quite tired a lot of the time, but have a young child who still wakes at night and a full time job. She also gets the usual toddler illnesses, so I suppose I should expect to get ill more often as she passes them to me.

I would be so grateful for any and all advice. I’m mostly over my illnesses now - should my lymph nodes be decreasing in size again by now? I’ve read it can take weeks, but I’m sure there’s several that have popped up that weren’t there a few days ago. They are all pea sizedaoart from one that feels a little bigger but flatter, would they be bigger if it were anything sinister? I’m sleeping badly, could that be why they’re still up, or perhaps stress?

Sorry I know this is a bit of a ramble, I’m just sitting all alone as my husband is a key worker and out at work now, and I’m scared and sad.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

OP’s posts: |
WorryWartOne Mon 04-May-20 21:17:35

*All pea sized apart from one

WorryWartOne Tue 05-May-20 19:00:32

Hopeful bump... even if it’s just to tell me to call the doctor (which I’m planning to do tomorrow morning).

Would love to hear some positive stories or advice.

Meganlouise1988 Tue 05-May-20 21:29:11

I had this a few months ago! I was SO anxious and my dr booked me in for an urgent scan (he said he wasn’t worried but I was so scared so he didn’t want me to wait). Of course that then made me worry even more as I thought it had been referred urgently for a reason!! Anyway, had an ultrasound and it turns out some of my lymph nodes are just large enough to be felt, and because I have a slim neck (her words) you can feel them more. I think if you’ve been poorly they can take months to go down. Hope that helps xx

Stygimoloch Tue 05-May-20 21:39:30

Yes me too. Ultra sound on neck because of my panic about lymph nodes. Turns out I have a slim neck and they can be easily felt.

Try not to worry as palpable lymph nodes in the neck are common, especially after colds, infections etc.

weehoo Tue 05-May-20 22:31:45

Sorry you have these health worries at the moment.

A few years ago I was working full time with a young baby (and all the sleep deprivation that comes with that) and I had clusters of infections (viruses, conjunctivitis, tonsillitis etc) and just felt generally v rough. I had full blood works done at go surgery and was found to be very deficient in vit D. Since then I've had to take large doses to make sure I don't get these problems.

If you haven't had a blood count five yet, I would ask for this. This is a time in your life (had a baby, sleep deprived, breastfeeding etc) where your health is quite vulnerable and it's fairly common for deficiencies, thyroid issues etc to occur.

And please don't let current situation deter you from seeking medical help. You may well just be run down, but it still needs to be investigated

WorryWartOne Wed 06-May-20 14:57:19

Thanks a lot for your replies, they’ve definitely helped to reassure me!

I ended up going to A&E this morning as I started having chest pains and heart palpitations in the night, and as I was alone caring for my daughter, it was particularly terrifying! They took my bloods and did an ECG and swab, it looks like I’ve got some underlying infections and I’m not 100% better from my previous illnesses, so my body is just kind of falling apart under the strain 😬, hence the palpitations and swollen nodes. Doctor said it’s a mix of stress and illness, but that my white blood cell count was perfect and to put all thoughts of serious illness out of my head ☺️. He also gave my neck a proper workout trying to feel for sinister lumps... the lumps I do have certainly felt ‘tender’ (read: Oooowww!) while he was pummelling them, which he said is another indicator that they’re just reacting to illness.

Very interesting to hear how much anxiety and stress can affect your physical health, I knew about stress headaches or feeling fatigued, but I didn’t realise the extent.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone ☺️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »