Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

UTI's in 3 yo? anyone any experience of this?

(5 Posts)
pucca Sun 16-Sep-07 22:42:40

My dd has had 2 UTI's in 18mth, she is 3.7yo, and now have had letter from GP they want to send her for a scan. The last UTI had blood, protein and white blood cells present.

Anyone any experience of this?

TIA

SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 22:48:07

Sorry - don'[t have any experience, but non of the "blood, protein and white blood cells present" are particularly unusual and shouldn't necessarily be a cuase for concern. It will be the repeated UTI that will be more concerning I expect.

<Out of interest increased protein comes from the bugs that are there, the white blood cells are there to kill the bugs, and probably the least common is the blood which is indicative of inflamation & damage in the tissue of the bladder (whihc will heal)>

pucca Sun 16-Sep-07 22:50:56

ooh didn't know that SMS, thanks for that, bit of an odd one really as i suffered loads of UTI's while pg with dd, but none when pg with ds...very strange.

With me it was something to do with my bladder not draining properly, so i had to have a small operation to sort it, to widen the tube or something, not the nicest thing i have ever experienced <yuck>

pucca Sun 16-Sep-07 23:01:33

bump for anyone else smile

Elibean Mon 17-Sep-07 13:06:00

my friend's dd has had recurring UTIs, exactly same age as your dd - and is also being sent for a scan, just in case. They will be looking out for kidney reflux and/or kinked tubes, apparently - and the scan is fairly standard for young kids with UTIs, my nephew was scheduled for one for same reason at age 3.

Most of the time, apparently, they don't find anything - but its a necessary screening thing.

Hope your dd is better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now