Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it OK to give DD3 (17m) the 6yr+ calpol (if I adjust teh does of course)

(15 Posts)
SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 20:19:31

DD3 Hates 2m+ calpol (strawberry).

She is fine with nuerofen (orange).

I have given her 6yr+ paracetamol when we were desperate to get paracetamol into her (on the basis that it would be easier to get 2.5ml in rather than 5ml) and it was easy.

Obviously I would be ultra careful with the dose, and I always use a syringe so can measure the smaller volumes accurately. But is there any real issue with me permanently giving her 6+ calpol to avoid distressing an already poorly child? Or does anyone know of an orange flavoured paracetamol suspension?

<If it was anyone else asking I know I would be the first to say go for it, but kind of want someone else to say "yes sensible idea">

frogs Sun 16-Sep-07 20:21:22

I do it all the time, as I have big age gaps between the children. It works out cheaper, proportionately as well. The maths is v. simple: 6+ calpol is twice as strong, so you halve the dose.

I mentioned it in passing to my GP once, who didn't bat an eye.

emkana Sun 16-Sep-07 20:21:39

So is the 6 + Calpol just a stronger dose? Have never compared the two. I guess as long as you make sure that the actual amount of paracetamol she receives is okay, it should be fine.

(Can I just go on a bit at this point and mention suppositories again? WHY can't you get them easily here...)

tissy Sun 16-Sep-07 20:22:04

yes, as long as you make sure she is getting the right dose

IIRC, the baby calpol is 120 mg/ml and the 6+ is 250 mg/ml

so, if you look at the dose on the baby calpol bottle, and give her a bit less than half of that volume of the 6+, she should be fine

SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 20:22:22

TY.

I know it is OK, it is only a stronger suspension with a different flavour, but just wanted someone else to agree IYSWIM.

rosealbie Sun 16-Sep-07 20:22:56

They always give the 6+ calpol on the children's ward in my local hospiptal, just adjust it to suit the age

frogs Sun 16-Sep-07 20:23:02

Btw, you can get different flavoured calpol, if you ask around. Chemists generic brands come in a range of flavours, so you might be able to find one that she prefers. Superdrug own brand was popular with mine iirc.

Generics also tend to be cheaper than calpol proper, which is a plus.

SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 20:23:23

Yes EmKana, I wasn't going to ,mention the arse pills grin

tissy Sun 16-Sep-07 20:25:17

blush think those strengths should read mg/5ml, but can't be bothered to go upstairs and get the bottle

the principle remains the same!!

SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 20:25:27

Frogs, I have a feeling that the unichem one is orange and that DTDs (who are older) hated it so I have always stuck to branded.

I think I will stick with 6+ as it reduces the size of my medicine tin.

SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 20:25:46

Yess tissy they are mg/5ml

tissy Sun 16-Sep-07 20:26:08

arse pills are good- ask the pharmacist, they can usually get them!

SlightlyMadSweden Sun 16-Sep-07 20:27:43

Yes but I think we established the other night that they are £16 for 10 shock OTC.

I am not paying that when she will happily drink orange flavoured medicine

emkana Sun 16-Sep-07 20:29:29

Oh yes and in Germany they cost 1 euro for 10 shock

tissy Sun 16-Sep-07 20:29:39

shock

get yout GP to prescribe them then- should be free!

I used to have supps for anti-migraine meds when I was a child, as I was too nauseous to swallow tablets- Mum never had to pay for them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now