Talk

Advanced search

Are my stats normal?

(7 Posts)
kevintheorangecarrot Wed 29-Apr-20 18:30:52

On my oximeter at rest I have 99% oxygen saturation's and heart rate is about 40BPM. When I'm active, my BPM around 60. I'm not athletic or slim (I'm overweight but not huge), however I work in an active job 5 days a week and at home I am also quite active. I guess I'm worried as it says less than 60BPM is Bradycardia shock

OP’s posts: |
Literallyfedup Wed 29-Apr-20 21:29:28

Did you try using the oximeter on someone else. If your oxygen saturation reading is 99% then your heart rate should be normal, unless you are a marathon runner in which case you can have a low heart rate and still have good saturation reading of 97% . Are you normally okay? If you are only questioning your health because of a reading but you otherwise feel healthy then may be you have a faulty device. I am no expert so please wait for other people's opinion.

SirTobyBelch Wed 29-Apr-20 21:43:02

Take your pulse with your fingers (or get someone else to do it) to see whether the pulse measurement on the oximeter is accurate. I know the pulse measurement on my home blood-pressure monitor is much lower than my actual pulse.

kevintheorangecarrot Wed 06-May-20 22:24:48

Sorry for late reply! Oxygen was different on my husband and his heart rate was around 80bpm! I checked again today and it was 36bpm. shock

OP’s posts: |
hotstepper4 Thu 07-May-20 17:32:13

I think I would get checked if I were you, 36bpm is very low

Spudina Thu 07-May-20 17:36:59

Just check your pulse manually OP. Don’t rely on the device. Count it for a full minute and don’t use your thumb. I’m sure it’s not 36.

vinoelle Thu 07-May-20 17:39:25

Double check you pulse rate manually, as PP said. If its really 36-40 - phone your GP. Im a GP and I've had a few patients in the past who are panicking about their heart rate being too fast or too slow when picked up on apple watches or similar and actually the reading is just wrong/inaccurate.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »