Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What to do about my finger?

(13 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Sep-07 16:11:32

Was going out today and the front door slammed across the top of my middle finger, right across the nail.

It is now very bruised - both under the nail and on the pad of my finger itself.

There's a line across my finger tip - it's blue below it and pink above it.

It's a little bit swollen/hard but not too bad.

Do I just leave it or do I need to put some ice on it/around it? (Woud make typing on MN hard!)

Nbg Sun 16-Sep-07 16:13:10

I trapped my little finger in the car door. It bled non stop for about 3 days and then just went a bit gammy grin

Just clean it best you can and put a bit of ice on or a cold wet flannel.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Sep-07 16:16:21

There's no actual bleeding - the skin wasn't broken - just subdural bleeding I suppose

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Sep-07 16:16:45

Gammy being a medical term, I take it?!

Nbg Sun 16-Sep-07 16:29:13

of course grin

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Sep-07 16:34:40

Actually have no idea what subdural means! I means bleeding under the skin, which I suppose would be subdermal?

Nbg Sun 16-Sep-07 16:36:03

I have noooooo idea!

I think thats what mine did but the pressure of the door seemed to have pushed everything up iyswim. So I was left with a big bulge under my nail.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Sep-07 16:38:19

It is very difficult to unbutton my jeans and do them up again - and it bloody hurts when I press on it!

HonoriaGlossop Sun 16-Sep-07 17:08:37

I'd put some ice on it if this were me. You can go to A & E and they can pierce the nail to let any blood out but you'd have to do that v soon before it congeals. It depends how painful it is - maybe it's bearable? You don't sound as if it's agony.

You may lose the nail - I did when I did this to my thumbnail (yuk) but it happens gradually.

Rhubarb Sun 16-Sep-07 17:10:44

There's always amputation?

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 16-Sep-07 17:32:03

Bad enough typing with it as it is never mind getting rid of it!

No - not in agony just a tad uncomfortable/sensitive - just a massive bruise really.

Rhubarb Sun 16-Sep-07 17:34:14

dd has done this, left with an indentation in her finger. I thought her nail would drop off but it didn't. It did heal eventually.

Poor you.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 18-Sep-07 16:11:43

Quick update - decided to go and see the nurse at GP's surgery yesterday. Bruising was very deep purple and spreading, and I wanted to make sure I didn't need to go to A&E for any reason.

Nurse confirmed it wasn't broken and recommended that I took arnica tablets. I remember someone (sorry, can't remember which poster!) raving about arnica a while ago, and just thought I'd let you all know

it's bloody fantastic stuff!

in less than 24 hours the bruising has faded so dramatically that you can't really notice it.

Goodness only knows how it works, but it's amazing stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now