Talk

Advanced search

Prolonged bleeding

(7 Posts)
southern82 Wed 22-Apr-20 22:36:11

I've always been very regular with my periods, but the past 2 months things have got really strange. I had what started as a normal period but it went on for 17 days, then I stopped bleeding for 4 days and have started again, I'm on day 10. The bleeding is extremely heavy with huge blood clots.
I'm 1 year late with my smear test.
I'm hesitant to go to the gp due to the Corona virus, I don't want to waste the doctor's time.
Has anyone had these symptoms before? I'm 37 and always had clear smear tests in the past x

OP’s posts: |
Poorlyweasels Wed 22-Apr-20 23:17:01

I had that sort of thing in perimenopause; I was bleeding more often than not. I ended up on meds (Norethisterone) to control the bleeding, but only after several tests to check for anything more sinister.

Bleeding like that really should be investigated, and won't be wasting the doctor's time. I believe GP surgeries are triaging by phone now anyway, so it won't hurt to call them.

Bucks2015 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:23:21

Yes I had this around Christmas - it really worried me so can appreciate how your feeling. I got checked out and there was no underlying cause and things went quickly back to normal. Certainly worth getting checked out, if only for your reassurance.

kazza446 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:35:11

I had this just before Christmas, extra long period lasting just short of a month, extremely heavy with clots. I was also late with my smear so really paranoid. Results came back clear and I had my smear month after all was well. GP put it down to menopause. I’m 48 xx

southern82 Wed 22-Apr-20 23:42:11

Thank you, I will give the G.P a call in the morning xx

browzingss Thu 23-Apr-20 01:33:23

What contraception do you use?

southern82 Thu 23-Apr-20 18:18:14

I don't use any contraception, I'm single x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »