Talk

Advanced search

Tips for being a lark, not an owl

(6 Posts)
Notverybright Mon 20-Apr-20 15:14:54

My baby has been waking me up after midnight either waking up really often or taking ages to get to sleep. She was fine until 9 months so I thought I'd wait the phase out. She's now 13 months. I don't want to night wean as she's so effing loud she'll wake my 4 year old, who refuses to sleep in the day time, so if woken just acts crazier and crazier until I'm tearing my hair out at 1pm.

Last night I got very little sleep after months of very little sleep, and I've been a super shitty mum especially to my 4 yo. This is after weeks of being a semi-shitty mum tbh. Also I'm eating too much and look like shit due to sleeplessness.

So the only solution is for me to go to bed earlier. The kids are usually asleep between 8 and 8:30 so I can get a couple of extra hours in before the madness starts.

The only trouble I can't seem to sleep when dp is downstairs as I am laying there wondering when he's going to come up. I feel guilty that he is tidying up on his own after a full day at work, so I often come down to help him. Also I want an evening dammit and I really resent having to give up my couple of hours of child free time.

Any tips for me please?

OP’s posts: |
Notverybright Mon 20-Apr-20 15:39:42

What I mean is what works to clear your head? Meditation, a boring postcast, locking your phone in a safe in the garage, knocking yourself on the head with a baseball bat?

doadeer Mon 20-Apr-20 16:58:53

I.like the calm app, you can listen to a relaxing story which helps me

Notverybright Mon 20-Apr-20 22:09:11

Ok I might try it now doadeer. Just been trapped in the pitch dark with the baby on me since she fell asleep. As my phone was downstairs the light was off and didn't want to wake her. I kept drifting in and out of sleep, so guess I slept but not the most relaxing way to go. Annoyed that dp didn't check up on me since he saw my phone was downstairs, so I think I'll try that app as I could do with calming down!

doadeer Mon 20-Apr-20 22:48:57

To be honest... I think you'll only get a good sleep when you can work with your 13m to sleep independently... It can be a real challenge but once they learn it changes your life

Notverybright Tue 21-Apr-20 07:16:33

Yeah I know you're right. I just can't be bothered to deal with the consequences on my own during lockdown grin. I think I'll save up a couple of weeks of early bedtimes and try again when I feel slightly less knackered.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »