Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

DS (age 2) just ate a nut & his lips have swollen

(9 Posts)
BarbieGirl Fri 14-Sep-07 19:16:47

I can't believe this. I was preparing food in the kitchen & DD (5) & DS (2) were watching Cbeebies - DD shouts to me that DS has been sick all over the rug and said she saw him eating a nut (I left them on the mantle piece & DD got them & he helped himself hmm).

I have given him Piriton & his lips have gone down a bit but do you think I should take him to A&E? He seems ok and is talking but his lips are still swollen.

He has bad eczema so I am guessing he has a nut allergy too sad. First time he has eaten nuts.

wildwoman Fri 14-Sep-07 19:17:18

phone nhs direct

toomanydaves Fri 14-Sep-07 19:18:19

Take him to A and E. Give more Piriton if necessary on the way. Don't mess about with this.

Chickhick Fri 14-Sep-07 19:19:32

YOu must make sure you get him tested for nut allergies.

brimfull Fri 14-Sep-07 19:20:22

take him to a&e,an anaphylactic reaction can develop over time.

I am the last type of person to say got to a&e but I would def in this situation.

My ds has nut allergy

Wisteria Fri 14-Sep-07 19:20:38

A&E. Sorry, but if it is a nut allergy you don't know how bad it will be - not trying to panic you but better to be safe rather than sorry. If it is getting better rather than worse you could keep an eye on it and see GP asap.
Poor poppet x

daisyandbabybootoo Fri 14-Sep-07 19:21:12

I would call the emergency gp and see what they say, but definately make an appt to see your gp on monday.

Usu with allergies the first exposure results in a reaction as the body reacts. Second exposure usually gives a much more extreme reaction.

It is possible he will need an epi-pen for any future exposure.

keep an eye on him as i have an allergy to crayfish and after i gad it for first time the swelling was a gradual thing over a day or so.

poor wee thing, i hope he's ok!

BarbieGirl Fri 14-Sep-07 19:32:21

Thanks everyone. He seems ok now. I spoke to a nurse and she said to just keep an eye on him and I need to see my GP on Monday morning to get him tested.

Wisteria Fri 14-Sep-07 19:34:10

Glad he is ok Barbiegirl x keep an eye for rest of the night though (am sure you will)

<Wisty slaps self for being somewhat patronising>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: