Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

female sterilisation - how do you feel about it? (if you've had it done)

(14 Posts)
CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 14-Sep-07 13:36:14

I'm having a baby by CS in two weeks' time and I've kind of agreed with DH to have a sterilisation at the same time. I would need to mention it to the consultant next week, as I understand you should have made the decision at least a week or so in advance. DH had already asked the GP for vasectomy but as the request was when I was pregnant, the GP postponed him.

My question is whether someone else on here has had one and how they felt about it. I'm 41, have two other children, this baby wasn't planned and we know we don't want another one, or might not even be able to have another one. As the time gets nearer, though, I wonder if I'll have any problems about it in the future, if it would affect how I feel about myself. Please CAT me if you don't want to talk about it on here. Many thanks.

sleepfinder Fri 14-Sep-07 15:53:03

I've not had it done, but my mother had to have a hysterectamy shortly after she gave birth to my sister (perhaps 3-4 yrs later). She was devastated, though attempts at more pregnancies hadn't worked out for her, the fact the whole thing was being taken away for good left her very low indeed.

I know its a bigger op than having tubes tied off, and that sterilization can be reversed (for both sexes) - but its far more invasive for a woman to have it done.

just thoughts, not sure if particularly helpful or apt for your thread, sorry.

expatinscotland Fri 14-Sep-07 15:59:29

sleep, the OP has stated that she will be sterilised during a CS if she so desires.

gordieracer Fri 14-Sep-07 16:01:18

i've just had it done and i am not sure how i feel yet, i would be interested to hear other stories too

sleepfinder Fri 14-Sep-07 16:13:48

Yes Expat, I got that, thanks for confirming though.

goingfor3 Fri 14-Sep-07 16:15:02

I thought that you shouldn't be sterlised during a cs as it's more likely to fail.

gomez Fri 14-Sep-07 16:16:07

Cristina - I had my third child and third CS 11 months ago and was sterilised at the same time. It wasn't something we had agreed to in advance (won't bore you with the details) but became necessary as a consequence of some problems with my uterus - so a somewhat differnt situation to you.

I felt tangible regret post-op (although we hadn't planned any more children anyway) but as time as elapsed I now feel quite liberated TBH. I am sure you know the practical reasons for and against a sterilisation post-c-section so really base your decision on how you feel.

I think my regret at the time wasn't necessarily related to the sterilisation but the general fact that my baby-making days were over - that would have been the cause whatever contraception we used.

HTH

CarGirl Fri 14-Sep-07 16:17:39

they don't routinely do them during a c section in case you change your mind about having more/in case of unexpected neonatal death etc I would think the older you are, or have health problems etc they more willing they are to do it IYSWIM

Downside whenever you do it, it's just so final isn't it, the option to have another/try for another is just gone. Very hard decision IMO

LizaRose Fri 14-Sep-07 16:18:37

I was sterilised at the same time as a CS. Like the OP, it was an unplanned 3rd pregnancy and I had had 2 previous CSs. I felt that I had put my body through enough, and did not want to risk another surgical delivery so this was the most reliable way to make this my last. I was told though that there is a 1 in 150 chance of the procedure failing (it is more likely to fail if done at CS than if done separately). This was a year ago, and I am still quite comfortable with my decision. I am 36, btw.

fruitful Fri 14-Sep-07 16:27:22

1 in 150 is a bit better than the pill I suppose. Whats the chance of a vasectomy failing?

I have to make this decision too (20 wks pg with 3rd)

fruitful Fri 14-Sep-07 16:31:11

Just googled it.

Chances of female sterilisation failing - 1 in 200 (falling to 1 in 150 if done at cs)

Chance of vasectomy failing - 1 in 2000

Think I'll make dh take a trip to the doctors!

CristinaTheAstonishing Sat 15-Sep-07 17:36:47

Thank you for the replies. My concerns are not related to the risk of failure, but rather how I'd feel about my body, whether I'd still feel "feminine" enough. I don't know why this has started to bother me these past few weeks...

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 17:53:29

I was sterilised when DTs were 4 months old and have to say its the best thing I ever done.

We were certain we didnt want anymore kids.

DH was then snipped about 3 months after me - just to be sure PMSL

lou33 Sat 15-Sep-07 17:57:15

blimey i was done 5 yrs ago and never felt so liberated

it certainly increased my libido, because i knew i wasnt going to get pg again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now