Does it sound like trigeminal neuralgia?

(8 Posts)
littlebigwoman Fri 17-Apr-20 08:27:02

Hi,

I don't want to ask my GP yet, as obviously they are busy with serious cases, and mine is not an emergency, but I need info about it.

Couple of months ago, in January, I started have pain attacks in my wisdom tooth. Terrible, hurt even with paracetamol. Went to my dentist, thinking I needed the tooth out, but the tooth was healthy, no issues at all. He prodded and tapped it and somehow it didn't hurt. Went to see another dentist for a second opinion and same thing happened.

Anyway moving to today, I've been having intermittent pain, sometimes caused by mouth movements (like opening wide), sometimes by flossing etc.. the pain gets to a point of being quite intense and my teeth feel weird and wobbly. Then it goes away again.

It's mostly a sharp, burning feeling that gets unbearable and goes sometimes up to my eye.

I found that it could be TN, as a dental issues has been ruled out. Any thoughts on it? Anyone has a similar pain?

OP’s posts: |
Imboredinthehouse Fri 17-Apr-20 13:14:48

I had similar but front tooth seemingly affected. Dentist did multiple x-rays. I was fitted with mouth guard to wear at night to see if teeth grinding was causing the problem.
The dentist said it was possibly TN and referred me to oral and maxillofacial at the hospital. More X-rays & an MRI scan of my head & all they have come back with is Atypical facial pain & suggested gabapentin. It doesn’t help so seemingly I just have to put up with it.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Sat 18-Apr-20 20:47:21

Like imbored I have atypical facial pain - exactly the same diagnosis path, but mine moves around my teeth, which meant I was constantly going back to the dentist, driving her mad.

I refused the nerve meds because I was worried about the side effects, and manage it with alpha lipoid acid, and high dose vitamin B6. Currently in a bit of a flare up which I imagine is due to stress.

Judystilldreamsofhorses Sat 18-Apr-20 20:54:46

Sorry, that should have been B12, not B6.

WorriedMummyNow Sat 18-Apr-20 21:48:52

I have trigeminal neuralgia and have several family members and one friend who also does. It does cause pain in the jaw but the unmistakable characteristic of TN is the horrifically intense shooting pain across the side of your face that runs just under the cheekbone. You can almost imagine it like a lightening strike or seriously strong electric shock. It is so distinctive and intense that the jaw pain, whilst awful, is honestly nothing compared to that. If you don't have the shooting pains across your face then it's not TN and is probably atypical facial pain instead.

I'm not trying to minimise the suffering you're feeling because either way it's really tough and hurts like hell so you absolutely have my sympathy!

Gammeldragz Sat 18-Apr-20 22:00:07

Make a GP appointment, it will be a phone call first (unless your GP has EConsult in which case you can send symptoms online) and they may well not need to see you. General practice is still there and you should use it when needed (I work in one), which you do as you're in pain.

danni0509 Sat 23-May-20 06:52:39

Any update OP?

I'm having very similar.

Advertisement

danni0509 Sat 23-May-20 06:52:56

@littlebigwoman sorry forgot to tag you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in